Highlighted
Observer

Program Vizio sound bar with Spectrum remote UR5U-8790L?

I would like program my Spectrum remote (UR5U-8790L) to operate the on/off and volume for the sound bar, but haven't found the code or series of codes to program it.  The codes provided by Vizio don't do it, and none of the 3 methods work that are recommended by Spectrum on line.   The sound bar is connected via optical cable.  I do not have the ability to change the cable box to variable, nor do I have ARC on the TV (I've seen both these suggestions elsewhere).  I can't get the sound bar to work with the TV with the headphone jack either, so I'm not sure about that one.  The TV is a Samsung Smart TV, if that matters.  The cable box is Arris/Motorola DVR DCX 3400.
Do I need a new remote?  A new cable box?  If so, what should I ask for?

11 REPLIES 11
Expert

Re: Program Vizio sound bar with Spectrum remote UR5U-8790L?

Are you sure the Samsung doesn't have ARC in it? How old is it? All  SMART tv's made in the past 2 years seem to have ARC on at least one HDMI port,even the small screens?

does it have a pair of RCA's with variable audio out, or an optical audio out?

Do you have a blu ray player connected to it?

There should be a vizio tv code that works it, download the Vizio universal remote AP for your smartphone and see if there's a code that works the sound bar. you need the volume, on off and input buttons

But you may have the correct code but don't have it set to the proper device type!on your cable remote, you need to assign the aux button to be a second tv set and after you press aux and up/dn volume or power or input source, you should see the aux light, not the TV or cable lights.

The latest TWC for ARRIS-Spectrum boxes has a sequential power on off (called system power) I have not seen programming instructions for it, but that system power buttion is a PITA if one of the devices doesn't see the on or off command, the whole thing goes out of sync making it useless.

Observer

Thanks for responding so quickly, MSRaye.  There is nothing on the TV or in the documentation that mentions ARC.  There is HDMI-CEC, which is set to "on", but when it searches for devices, it doesn't find anything,  Yes, the TV  does have RCA ports but no variable output that I know of.  There is optical audio out, which is how the TV is connected to the sound bar.  The Vizio app is useless.  It won't find my sound bar via Bluetooth, even though the phone and sound bar are paired and it plays audio just fine off the phone etc.  The app has awful reviews after the last release, with many having the same connection problem.  When I auto-program the TWC remote, it apparently finds a code because it turns off the sound bar.  But it doesn't turn it back on with the power button, so the code isn't verified according to the instructions.  I don't know what the code is that it finds.  Vizio lists 2 four digit codes and 2 five digit codes on their website for the sound bar, but none of them work during the manual programming process.  The AUX button lights  and stays on during the programming process, but the sound bar doesn't turn off with any of them.  
I really appreciate your help, and don't mean to sound like I'm negating your suggestions.  I just keep running into walls.  I keep thinking there must be a way.  If you've got any other tricks up your sleeve, I'm all ears.  If not, I'll live with multiple remotes I guess. Thanks again.

Expert

Connect one of the CEC ports via HDMI cable to the soundbar and see what happens.

What model # is the Samsung?

what model is the sound bar?

Is this soundbar remote the one with 3 seperate up down volume controls for the 3 inputs and 7th on off button?

Observer

Sorry I didn't explain very well. There's no CEC port on the TV, CEC-HDMI is a screen menu option within system set up (on/off, set to "on"), with  sub-options to find devices and refresh (and doesn't find anything).   The sound bar has a USB port, RCA, and optical, nowhere to put an HDMI cable.  The sound bar is connected to the TV via optical.  The TV is a Samsung UN32J5205AF ‑ 32" LED Smart TV ‑ 1080.  The sound bar is a Vizio 2.0 SB2820n-EO.  The sound bar remote has just one up volume and one down volume button, used regardless of input.   Both the TV and sound bar are relatively inexpensive, but they are fine for what I need (except for the extra remotes, of course).   Thanks again.

Expert

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2015-led-smart-tv-j52xx-series

might be something in there that makes the Optical out variable.

Does this TV have an earphone jack?

if so, use a stereo 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable, disconnect the optical cable and then  the TV volume control should vary the audio going to the sound bar.

Or try the SB's  Bluetooth input as the TV has the capability of driving bluetooth headphones and speakers and that should be variable audio.

Observer

Thanks, MsRaye.  I will give the headphone jack a try and report back, though the optical has better sound. IMO, There is no variabile with the optical out, and the TV has wireless, but no bluetooth.

Expert

Samsungs site says it has bluetooth....

Observer

Thanks, MsRaye!  Yes, I saw those claims for the series on the website, but this model doesn't have it.    J5205 spec sheet

Expert

Smaller sets don't have as many options as the larger ones even though they're in the same series... Vizio is the same way

See if there's codes over at the UEI site...

https://www.urcsupport.com/