Rookie

Program Ur5u-8780l remote to control sound bar

Does anyone know how to get the remote to control the volume on an lg sound bar?  I assume it can't turn it on and off so at least I want to use it for volume.  My old directv remote could do it so I'm hoping this one can as well.

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Program Ur5u-8780l remote to control sound bar

If the soundbar is connected to a new LG TV, turn on the ARC option and put it on the ARC port. Then the Sound bar is slaved to the TV's volume control

If it's not a LG set, then in the TWC remote, you need to make the aux key access the soundbar. Someone here may have the codes, or search for sound bar.

Rookie

It is not a new tv, it's about 4 years old. Not sure what you mean by arc port so I assume it doesn't have one. The sound bar is hooked directly to the TV via a optical cable. I think I have some codes to try I'm just unsure how to do it.
Expert

ARC= advanced remote control and is an HDMI function

With an optical, you need to find the remote code for the soundbar.. try some LG tv codes.

you have to program the aux button to be a second TV to use them

Rookie

Get the feeling I may be out of luck.  The 3 digit codes in the manual do not work with the sound bar.  I went thru each one trying to program the "AUX" button as a second TV.  All I want is for the remote to control the sound bar volume.  Maybe TWC has a different remote that will work for me?  I'm a bit frustrated because my direct tv remote was able to do this.  I have  found nothing online that can help.