Rookie

Premium Movie Channels keep disappearing!

This has been going on for more than a year -- I punch in 581 (Starz) and it comes up with "Starz is Unavailable at this time." It the same for HBO, Encore, Showtime, etc.  Only resolution is to reboot the set top box.  Spectrum tells me there is nothing wrong.  Well, obviously something is or I wouldn't have to reboot at least once a week.  And then the reboot takes well over 45-50 minutes (stuck on L-3 at the moment).

Any ideas or suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: Premium Movie Channels keep disappearing!

@Chrisbry55 wrote:

This has been going on for more than a year -- I punch in 581 (Starz) and it comes up with "Starz is Unavailable at this time." It the same for HBO, Encore, Showtime, etc.  Only resolution is to reboot the set top box.  Spectrum tells me there is nothing wrong.  Well, obviously something is or I wouldn't have to reboot at least once a week.  And then the reboot takes well over 45-50 minutes (stuck on L-3 at the moment).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hey,

What is your TV package level?  Some channels are changing service levels.  Epix is under new ownership and has made a decision to be ala-carte only.  ($15 a month.)  They are doing this in all areas. I can confirm this.

Don't have confirmation, but due to increased programing costs, Cinemax is going to be leaving the Silver package, but is supposedly staying for those who are grandfathered into the Spectrum Silver plan.

Do you have any non-premium channels that don't come in?  Also, do you have the New Spectrum Guide or the ODN Navigator Guide?  What is your zip code?

If the channels are not coming in after rebooting the box, you have a bad signal or drop line and would need to set up a signal or drop line test.  Call Spectrum to set up this test!  Do not reboot any equipment for at least six hours prior to this test.  The tech needs to check your inside and outside wiring and lines.  A reboot of any cable boxes, modems, or routers will put the signals back to zero.  Swapped boxes will never solve bad signal levels.  If the inside and outside wiring and lines are OK, than the box will need to be replaced.  The information about Epix above is verified.

Satch

Rookie

To answer your questions:

Package level is Spectrum TV Gold.  
Only Premium movie channels affected.
New Spectrum Guide (not sure what ODN is )

Zip code 68510

Channels come in just fine after rebooting.  But usually by the next day, I have to reboot again if I want to watch anything on them.  
All lines outside and in were replaced 2 years ago by Spectrum during our remodel.  They have said there is nothing wrong with them.  We also got new set top boxes when the remodel was done.

I have no issues watching LIVE TV on the internet.  When this loss of channels happens, it affects both boxes in the house.  When I call in, they tell me the boxes are not connected.  I can see that on troubleshooting in my account.  Even after rebooting, they are still showing NOT connected.

I don't watch the premium channels but once or twice a week so it's annoying having to reboot every time I want to watch.

CB

Trusted Helper

@Chrisbry55 wrote:

To answer your questions:

Package level is Spectrum TV Gold.  
Only Premium movie channels affected.
New Spectrum Guide (not sure what ODN is )

Zip code 68510

Channels come in just fine after rebooting.  But usually by the next day, I have to reboot again if I want to watch anything on them.  
All lines outside and in were replaced 2 years ago by Spectrum during our remodel.  They have said there is nothing wrong with them.  We also got new set top boxes when the remodel was done.

I have no issues watching LIVE TV on the internet.  When this loss of channels happens, it affects both boxes in the house.  When I call in, they tell me the boxes are not connected.  I can see that on troubleshooting in my account.  Even after rebooting, they are still showing NOT connected.

I don't watch the premium channels but once or twice a week so it's annoying having to reboot every time I want to watch.

CB

HI CB,

You should be able to go for MONTHS without rebooting.  A lot can  happen in two years.  Bad weather, moisture on the lines, corrosion, animal chews.  This is not a problem that can be solved over the phone or through any Spectrum social media platform.

You need a tech visit.  When you call specify a check of the drop line and the main tap on your street.  The signal to the premium channels is not holding.  You can also request (and should request) signal monitoring for your equipment.

Have the tech check your basement wiring as well.  Remove any splitters.  They can reduce signal strength up to ninety percent.

Remember, AVOID REBOOTING ANY BOXES, MODEMS, OR ROUTERS FOR AT LEAST SIX HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR SERVICE CALL.   You don't want the error codes to be reset, which rebooting will cause this to happen. I would also suggest when the tech comes to tune to a premium channel that you keep losing, so that he can get a signal reading off of that channel.  The amount of support that the phone reps or social media can provide here is minimal at best.  (Concerning this particular problem.)  You need a truck roll, your drop line, and your inside and outside wiring checked.

There is an issue with the new Spectrum Guide where online status does not show remotely.  This needs to be fixed in a future software update.  Since BOTH boxes are affected at the same time regarding the need to reboot to watch premium channels, this convinces me even more that this is a signal issue.

Post back about your appointment.

Satch