Participant

Re: Performance issues with 210 box

@reds91185 I replaced the various coax cables yesterday with one continuous cable. I went from having error code STB-1249 on the screen to then having nothing on the screen at all with the 201 box. At one point, the screen was displaying a message indicating there was a critical recovery in progress. The first attempt failed and during the retry, I unplugged the box as directed by the phone tech support. My suspicion is that this box is now no longer functioning since it couldn't recover from whatever caused the critical issue. Signals were supposedly being detected from the Spectrum end, but nothing was working on my end. I checked the obvious as far as the TV being on and on the correct input. The remote with the 201 box didn't work either.

At this point, I have setup a tech appointment. I requested a Cisco box, but I guess I just take whatever is brought out. I put the 210 box back on last night and will have to call when I get home to have it activated once again.

Trusted Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:

@reds91185 I replaced the various coax cables yesterday with one continuous cable. I went from having error code STB-1249 on the screen to then having nothing on the screen at all with the 201 box. At one point, the screen was displaying a message indicating there was a critical recovery in progress. The first attempt failed and during the retry, I unplugged the box as directed by the phone tech support. My suspicion is that this box is now no longer functioning since it couldn't recover from whatever caused the critical issue. Signals were supposedly being detected from the Spectrum end, but nothing was working on my end. I checked the obvious as far as the TV being on and on the correct input. The remote with the 201 box didn't work either.

At this point, I have setup a tech appointment. I requested a Cisco box, but I guess I just take whatever is brought out. I put the 210 box back on last night and will have to call when I get home to have it activated once again.

IMO,

Customer care should not have told you to unplug the box when a "Critical Recovery" was in progress.  Please let us know what happens with this service call!

Satch

Participant

So, according to the phone representatives, the 201 box was a Spectrum box and not a Cisco box. The box should have Cisco branding labeled on it. According to the tech, the 201 box IS a Cisco box. Not sure what to believe, but I assume that the tech knows what they're talking about. Apparently Cisco boxes won't work in my area (I guess something about legacy market area), so I'm stuck with the 210 box. 

The tech changed out both ends of the store bought coax cable. For some reason, they didn't like the wallplate, so they changed that out. They looked at the signal levels, and said everything is good.There is still that delay in scrolling through the guide listings beyond what is shown on the screen. I guess there isn't anything more I can do since the only box I can use is the 210 box.

Observer

to the OP!!! the techs won't have the 6 tuner DVR'S on the trucks they will more than likely only have the 210 or the 110 boxes wich are junk!!! you'll have to go into your local spectrum store and tell them that that box is a disater and ask for a 6 tuner box either an arris 3600 or the cisco 9865. i got lucky when i got mine off the truck because the tech told me he didn't have any on the truck. but once i said i would cancel and he can take there crap out of my house!!! he ran down to his truck and one magicly came up LOL. but you would be better off going into a spectrum store. they gave me a dual tuner wich is stoneage in todays world. now if you get hope and prey every day that it don't break down!!! i heard people used to fight over the six tuner boxes!!! and i was never a TWC customer and i wasn't suppossed to get a 6 tuner box. well it was either that or loose revenue!!! you just won't get the mini client that goes with it...

Observer

the 210 box is not a cisco box!!! it's made by arris from what i read somewhere i also read that it can be had with upto 16 tuners in it as well!!! if the cisco box won't work in your area then tell em you want an arris 3600 that's a 6 tuner dvr also and see what they say. if that don't work threaten to cancel all together that might wake em up!!! were the consumer we pay there bills and there saleries... i hve been through 8 or 9 of the 210 boxes and if that's all they had to give me i would cancel all together!!!

Participant

I had another tech visit. First off the phone support seems to be completely unable to fully comprehend the nature of the issue I have and accurately notate it in support ticket. The issue was described as the box works one day and then the next day it doesn't. 

The tech told me that their honest opinion was that the same issue of guide delay would still be present in a different box. The tech seemed to think the issue started when Spectrum added original content channels and even stated the same issue happens in their home. 

Apparently most people only care about having a clear picture, so this guide delay is not widely being reported. I'm really getting tired of it. I want to scroll through the channel listings without encountering a delay that results in the channel listings jumping 10 spots down once the guide works again.  I don't want to go back to my previous TV provider and I don't want to have high TV costs by eliminating a cable provider altogether and going streaming, but I don't know what else to do at this point. There's no method of getting attention to this issue for some sort of a fix. 

Observer

hey there cb

i have the 6 tuner dvr running ODN software and i have no guide delays. bring the box into the store and ask for a 6 tuner box with a clock on the front. i had the 210 box two and its crap. since the guide is downloaded from the internet in real time unlike the 6 tuner boxes where it's saved to the HDD..

do you have a local spectrum store near you??? i would tell em i want a six tuner box and that things a nightmare to deal with

Observer

@Satch  customer service is great for telling people to unplug things. thats the first thing they say. and they think it fixes everything when it makes things worse..

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

hey there cb

i have the 6 tuner dvr running ODN software and i have no guide delays. bring the box into the store and ask for a 6 tuner box with a clock on the front. i had the 210 box two and its crap. since the guide is downloaded from the internet in real time unlike the 6 tuner boxes where it's saved to the HDD..

do you have a local spectrum store near you??? i would tell em i want a six tuner box and that things a nightmare to deal with

Yes,

Get a six-tuner box with a clock if you can. (Cisco 9865 or Arris 3600-M)  They are more reliable than the World Boxes.  Spectrum almost needs to consider not giving out the World Boxes until the bugs are squashed.  Reports are that the Technicolor World Boxes are more reliable than the Humax World Boxes.  But the Cisco 9865 or Arris 3600M beats both of them for reliability.

Satch

Not applicable

We had first a 201 box that had several problems (slow, pixelization, bad lip sync). The tech who came out said many of the 201 boxes were defective and showed these symptoms. He replaced it with a 210 box. It was slow, as well but still seemed better. But after it ran about a half hour, it began to throw up a constantly recurring overheating notification, even though the box was not overheating. The third tech who came out suggested going with an older box, the Arris DCX-3510-M. He said it was "rock solid" and most of them lasted many years without problems. So, we took it.

What an improvement! This box is fast. No problems that I can see so far. It has a different onscreen menu and a different remote, both of which are much better than what the 201 and 210 used. Better picture, no lip sync problems, no pixelizating, no sitting around watching the little dots rotate while it gets around to doing something.  The lighted remote that comes with it is completely different from the 210 remote and much, much better.

One downside: the 3510 box has only two tuners. So, you can record only one program while you are watching something on another channel. That is occasionally unfortunate but a price I am willing to pay for the improvement in all other areas.

Hence, my suggestion for you problems: ditch the 210 box and get an Arris DCX-3510-M.