Re: Performance issues with 210 box

THE ARRIS MODEL IS DCX3600-M

i belive the cisco model is 9865 @ satch can chime in on that one

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

THE ARRIS MODEL IS DCX3600-M

i belive the cisco model is 9865 @ satch can chime in on that one

Yup Arris DCX-3600 and the Cisco 9865.  I have the Cisco box.  But they are getting rarer and rarer.  Two years ago, tech told me in my market that they could only carry two six-tuners on the truck, and he had to call up another tech to get me the Cisco that I have now from the warehouse.  The World Boxes ARE getting much better from when they first came out!

It is really hit and miss in terms of getting the six-tuner models now, (mostly miss.)  It will get to the point where the World Boxes will be the only boxes they give out, and the older boxes will be the two-tuner models.  So hold onto your six-tuner boxes for as long as you can .  The Technicolor (Cisco) World Box is better than the Human World box.  All run Spectrum guide, except in former Bright House Networks markets that run ODN Navigator.

Satch

Browser

So after not being at home for a couple of days, I come home and turn everything on. The guide won't load. Trying to call Spectrum and having to go through the steps that the automated system wants rather than being able to speak with someone is really aggravating.
Trusted Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:
So after not being at home for a couple of days, I come home and turn everything on. The guide won't load. Trying to call Spectrum and having to go through the steps that the automated system wants rather than being able to speak with someone is really aggravating.

Oh yea, good point here,

NEVER UNPLUG ANY EQUIPMENT IF YOU ARE GOING AWAY ON VACATION.  All of the stuff gets updates, very often on Tuesday mornings, (12am-6AM ) where the maintience and updates are done, and the network reaches out to the "Mother Ship" at night to get updates.  If you miss too many of them you could brick your equipment.  This becomes more important today, as more and more of these services work together and integrate with each other.

Let us know when you get your box up and running.  You can also just not say or enter anything at the automated CSR prompts and you should get transferred to a live agent.  Doesn't pressing "O" do the same thing if you are in touch-tone mode on the system?

Satch

Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:
I live in an apartment and I'm towards the end, opposite where the main feed is on the outside.

On the inside, I've had to take several coax cables and string them together. Only one coax jack in the room and my TV is basically on the opposite wall. I estimate at least 50' of coax would be needed to run along the edge of the room and over to the box.

Being in an apartment building adds many layers of complexity that are out of your control, but if I understand correctly...from your incoming wall jack you have no splitters and several short patch cables strung together with barrel connectors until it reaches the 50ft point where the DVR is located?

1. Try moving the DVR and tv as close to the incoming wall outlet as possible as a temporary test. If your problems go away them your patchwork of coax is the likely culprit.

2. Replace the patchwork of coax with one continuous 50ft length. Each connector is a weak point which can allow noise and other ingress to the signals.  These DVR boxes are very sensitive to signal levels and noise.

Browser

I should clarify that nothing was unplugged while I was gone.  I turned on the box and TV as I normally do. The guide would not load. I unplugged the box and plugged it back in to reset it, but now I know that there's a reset button on the front right side of the box. While on the phone with support, the guide froze up. I reset the data, but there's still that 10 second period of no response. 

It would be great if I could call my local stores and ask if they have Cisco boxes, but conveniently the only phone number provided for the stores is a toll free number that goes to customer service. 

Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:

It would be great if I could call my local stores and ask if they have Cisco boxes, but conveniently the only phone number provided for the stores is a toll free number that goes to customer service. 

You can't call the local stores so they can focus their attention on the customers already there.  As a customer in a store it is really maddening when the person helping me has to stop what they're doing and answer the phone.

If nothing else works...other than just rebooting over and over...you can always take the box down to the store and exchange it. Even if they don't have the exact box you want anything working would be better than what you have now, right?

Browser

So, I stopped by the Spectrum store on my home from work and specifically asked for a Cisco box. I assumed that I got what I asked for. I came home and swapped boxes. The "new" box booted up and displayed error code STB-1249. I called customer service and they stated that they could not send signals to this new box.  Additionally, it turns out that someone at my Spectrum store wrapped up a Spectrum 201 box and put a "price tag sticker" on the shrink wrap that said Cisco. 

According to customer service, I got another Spectrum box and not a Cisco box like I asked for. They also suggested that the reason why I got a Spectrum box was because of the guide type in my area.  They further suggested that the reason why the 201 box failed to fully setup was due to the multiple coax cables I have and they also seemed to think that the multiple coax cables was why I was having issues with the guide on the 210 box. 

So far, a very frustrating experience in switching over to Spectrum and getting service setup. I had service with a DVR and despite that, initially received a 110 box. 

Trusted Helper

Remote Question Regarding New World Boxes?

Guys,

My recommendation is to ask your Spectrum tech if he brings out a World Box (No clock) is to let him know that you want to keep your existing remote.  So many people hate the new World Box remotes.  This should be passed along to Spectrum higher-ups. I hope that techs aren't taking the old Clickr Backlight Remotes with them on box swaps for two reasons:

1.) The Clickr Backlight remotes are much better than the remotes being given out with World Boxes.

2.) It is very helpful to have an extra remote as a spare.

Satch

Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:

Additionally, it turns out that someone at my Spectrum store wrapped up a Spectrum 201 box and put a "price tag sticker" on the shrink wrap that said Cisco. 

They further suggested that the reason why the 201 box failed to fully setup was due to the multiple coax cables I have and they also seemed to think that the multiple coax cables was why I was having issues with the guide on the 210 box. 

The shrink wrapping and tagging is usually done at a refurbishing center and not at the local store.

Have you tried replacing your patchwork of coax cables with one continuous length of coax? Again, each link in the chain is a weak point to allow noise and ingress into your network and can very easily be a factor in your connection problems.