Browser

Package requirements

Hi all.  After paying for cable for years, I've come to the conclusion that I simply don't watch it. I like having my local stations and I do enjoy having a DVR and on demand for movies, but beyond that, I really don't watch anything else. I've been considering trying to downgrade to something more bare bones, but I was curious if a DVR and on demand features were compatible with a basic package? Does anyone know what you have to have in order to keep that functionality? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Helper

Re: Package requirements

You can still have DVR and On Demand with the most basic package available. Note that On Demand access will be limited to include only free offerings and those networks which are part of your package...for instance if you currently have AMC and watch AMC On Demand but your new package does not include AMC then you will not have access to AMC On Demand shows.

Proven Sharer

@Lynnlee22 wrote:

Hi all.  After paying for cable for years, I've come to the conclusion that I simply don't watch it. I like having my local stations and I do enjoy having a DVR and on demand for movies, but beyond that, I really don't watch anything else. I've been considering trying to downgrade to something more bare bones, but I was curious if a DVR and on demand features were compatible with a basic package? Does anyone know what you have to have in order to keep that functionality? 

The smallest video package you can subscribe to is "StarterTV" or "Broadcast Basic" TV.  (The name varies depending on your market.)

This tier is the first tier you MUST subscribe to before adding any other video services.  It consists of your local TV Stations (should Spectrum have a carriage agreement with them), Public Access and Community Bulletin Boards, Government Programming (CSPAN), and maybe a pay TV network or two.  (Think WGNA).  It costs $23.89 + $11.99 per month.  The $11.99 is the Broadcast TV surcharge, and this charge cannot be avoided if you are a video subscriber.   The cost for this tier of programming is really $23.89 + $11.99 = $35.88 without equipment rental fees and other taxes / surcharges.

One you are on this tier, you can add other tiers (Standard, Select, Digi-Tier 1, Digi Tier 2) via a tier buy-through.  (i.e. - You will be required to subscribe and pay for "Select" before you can add "Digi-Tier 1").  You can also add any a-la-carte (think premium) channels.  So in theory, you could subscribe to StarterTV and HBO.

You can add DVR service.  I am not sure of the current equipment / service fee.

Your "ON DEMAND" choices will be limited to the networks you subscribe to.  If you are a StarterTV subscriber, only the programming viewed on the networks you subscribe to will be available.  I do not know what movies you are referring to, but if those movies air on HBO, then you will need to be an HBO subscriber to view those titles.

The cost to "get in the video door" is pretty high when you consider equipment rental fees.  Video programming has gotten expensive.

In a nutshell, StarterTV (or Broadcast basic) is the smallest, cheapest video service you can subscribe to.

Observer

have you tried pulling the locals in via antenna??? if you can you can buy an OTA tivo and that will be your dvr and the dvr fee for the tivo is 6.99 a month or 250.00 for the lifetime sub. that 35.00 a month will climb quickly with the dvr fee box rental and taxes!!!