Highlighted
Newcomer

On Demand with no fast forward

So, I read a previous post stating the fustration of no fast forward with On Demand shows, and the solution is that it can't be helped because of providers.  That is not an answer I can accept.  Not being able to fast forward through commercials is very fustrating, if I wanted to watch a show with commercials, I would watch normally scheduled programs.  Also, If I have already seen the first half of the show, I have to watch it all over again just to catch what I missed.  And then, if paused for too long, it kicks me all the way back to the beginning, so I have to watch everything all over again.  This is an important issue for me, because I am rarely home to see the shows that I would like to see, so I watch a lot On Demand.

8 REPLIES 8
Trusted Helper

Re: On Demand with no fast forward

@atamburo wrote:

So, I read a previous post stating the fustration of no fast forward with On Demand shows, and the solution is that it can't be helped because of providers.  That is not an answer I can accept.  Not being able to fast forward through commercials is very fustrating, if I wanted to watch a show with commercials, I would watch normally scheduled programs.  Also, If I have already seen the first half of the show, I have to watch it all over again just to catch what I missed.  And then, if paused for too long, it kicks me all the way back to the beginning, so I have to watch everything all over again.  This is an important issue for me, because I am rarely home to see the shows that I would like to see, so I watch a lot On Demand.

Unfortunately,

It is the provider who makes the decisions regarding whether or not to Fast-Forward commercials regarding On Demand Content.  You would need to contact the station regarding this issue,  It is unlikely that anything will change because these days the host providers are adament about ad revenue.

Satch

Participant

I've been real frustrated about that too. 10 years ago I could fast forward through everything. I pay a good amount of money for this service and I still have to sit through commercials.  This fast forward thing should be time warner cable's decision. The network's opinions are irrelevant.

If it is that important that we watch the commercials, they should only disable fast forward on the commercial part. I think it is already implemented on spectrum for android and web browser. A few days ago, I watched a 2 hour movie on the app and was half way through. I sat through all the commercials. I stopped it and went to watch it on TV and on the TV it started from the beginning and I could not fast forward. I had to go back to the app and finish it from there.

Spectrum Employee

@atamburo wrote:

On-demand for recently premiered shows still has commericals and cannot be fast forwarded due to provider demand. Spectrum does not control which shows can or cannot show fast forwarded but a general rule of thumb is that if the show has premiered in the last 10 days, or is the most recent "NEW" episode, then you will not be able to fast forward.

There are a number of reasons for this, chief among them being advertising revenue for the company that produces or distributes the programing. Were talking the programmers like CBS, ABC, FOX and the like, not providers like Spectrum, Comcast or AT&T. There are also other things, like Nelson raitings, MetaCritics Meta data capturing that counts any accesses in the first week as part of the "premiere" ratings when they rate a show.

So, its a necessary evil that if you don't want to sit through commercials you either need to record it with a DVR, or wait over the waiting period for the next episode to come out and the current iteration to be in essence "de-monetized".

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Helper

@atamburo wrote:

So, I read a previous post stating the fustration of no fast forward with On Demand shows, and the solution is that it can't be helped because of providers.  That is not an answer I can accept. 

Unfortunately, as many here have already stated, you may not be able to accept this answer, but it is the reality.  The content providers (networks) want it this way, not the distributors (cable companies).

Not applicable

Hi! I have Directv with On Demand, etc. Only use,Spectrum's internet because my smartphone is,with Verizon & doesn't have enough Mbps speed for On Demand. Unfortunately everyone has this same issue as you have. It isn't up to Spectrum or other providers. It's, as they told you, up to all of the broadcasting companies. They all have the same 'no fast forward'.
Not applicable

You're right. I also tried to explain this to the same complaint. The broadcasting stations won't change because, like you said, they keep the commercials in for money. So tape the whole series ahead of time. I have Directv (have had it for many years). They have Series Manager where you have options to tape: only new episodes, repeats, or both. Also how many to keep, five, ten, all episodes, etc. Don't know if Spectrum is the same. But all of the companies (Directv, Spectrum, Dish, etc) leave the On Demands up to broadcasting companies.
Not applicable

You're correct. With online episodes you are able to fast forward. This will more than likely never change. So those who complain because they pay a lot...you're not alone, but you have to sadly live with it if & until broadcasters change.
Rookie

So you can't fast forward on demand but you can fast forward if you DVR. Makes no sense. One additional reason cable TV is going down the drain.  I will not watch a single show if I have to sit thourgh commercials. I'm already paying. Anywhere else in reality if you pay, no ads.