Rookie

No sound but volume control goes up and down.

I have auxuillary Bose sound system attached to my TV and works on cable remote via "aux" button.  All was fine and then sound disappeared but on Bose unit showed volume still at same range. Since then  I have not been able to get sound except when I changed the speaker setting to  "from TV" rather than "auxillary."  I have rebooted both the sound system and cable box but still nothing.  I was going to re-program the Bose system to the remote but the fact that it shows volume on the unit display and turns off and on w/remote tells me it is NOT the remote that is the problem. Can anyone help, please!?  

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: No sound but volume control goes up and down.

"No hi's no low's, it must be Bose"

Sounds like you have used rca or a 3.5 mm stereo plug to go to the tv or cable boxes audio out... and there's a bad cable or no audio.

What is connected to what?

Not enough info to diagnose other than you have an audio routing issue, something muted or set to a non existant audio channel 

If this has an HDMI ARC input, connect it to the tv's HDMI ARC output and program that out put on the TV, or use the TV's optical out if the Bose has one...

Rookie

This is not my system.  I am housesitting and attempting to figure out why all of a sudden no sound when I touched nothing on any of the units-- only the "aux" button on the Time Warner, RC122 remote.  I do not want to deal with nor can I get to any of the connections on the Bose unit or the cable DVR box. I guess I will just have to leave as is (turn the TV speakers back on) and let the owner deal w/the problem when he returns.

Thanks for your input.

Expert

Sound bars have multiple inputs, sounds like the wrong one is selected, you'd have to trace out what's connected to which one .  This may take a Bose ( second remote) or pressing the input button on the unit itself to switch as the universal remotes don't access that function.

Or the owner only has it wired to a blu ray player in which case it never gets cable audio, lol.

Highlighted
Observer

You have not damaged anything. If you can speak to or email the owner, they will be able to talk you through what needs to be done. My dogs like to sit on the remote and for some reason they hit the AUX or Input buttons fairly regularly.