Highlighted
Participant

No picture or sound

I have the STB connected to a stereo receiver.  I also have a blu ray player and a fire TV stick.  Everything is 4k capable except for the Spectrum box. I was watching cable TV and switched over to the firestick. Once done with the firestick, I attempted to switch back to cable TV. The receiver is giving me a message that says "stb refsw desi". I've attempted to research this and what I'm finding is that it's got something to do with the resolution settings. 

I can't get any display on the TV to see what the stb settings are. The TV automatically controls the resolution so there's nothing to change as far as TV settings. Plus, I already called support for the TV and confirmed it wasn't a TV issue. Trying to figure out how to fix this issue. 

7 REPLIES 7
Browser

Re: No picture or sound

@cb_2367 wrote:

I have the STB connected to a stereo receiver.  I also have a blu ray player and a fire TV stick.  Everything is 4k capable except for the Spectrum box. I was watching cable TV and switched over to the firestick. Once done with the firestick, I attempted to switch back to cable TV. The receiver is giving me a message that says "stb refsw desi". I've attempted to research this and what I'm finding is that it's got something to do with the resolution settings. 

I can't get any display on the TV to see what the stb settings are. The TV automatically controls the resolution so there's nothing to change as far as TV settings. Plus, I already called support for the TV and confirmed it wasn't a TV issue. Trying to figure out how to fix this issue. 

I would connect the reciver directly to the TV and unhook it from the stereo reciver to rule that out as a cause. If that does not work it is most likely going to be an HDMI handshake issue. If that is the case I would try exchanging the set top box for a different make and model.

Helper

Agreed...sounds like your stereo receiver is having HDMI handshake problems.  What make and model is the stereo? What Spectrum box is it?

Contributor

Regardless of how good one's home theater receiver may be, for me, i have always found it best to run hdmi directly to the tv.  Doing this however, does bring up some audio issues though.  I run my 9865 directly to my Sammy TV and send the audio to my HT receiver via optical being that i do not trust Hdmi Arc very much.  I'm not too concerned with top quality audio on regular programming.  My Apple TV & XBox run through the HT receiver for top quality audio.  Just my way of doing things and helps eliminate handshake issues.  Smiley Happy

Participant

I may have to try this and see how it works. After unplugging the hdmi cables and plugging them back in (all of them connected to the receiver), I got picture and sound back.
Helper

I connect all my devices to the tv as well. HDMI ARC works well from the tv to the receiver for me and I don't have to worry about using yet another remote to turn on the receiver, set the right input, etc.

Contributor

@reds91185 wrote:

I don't have to worry about using yet another remote to turn on the receiver, set the right input, etc.

Hence, my reason for using a Harmony Ultimate w/Hub.  Eliminates having to rely on multiple remotes and button presses.

Helper

@Geezer64 wrote:

@reds91185 wrote:

I don't have to worry about using yet another remote to turn on the receiver, set the right input, etc.

Hence, my reason for using a Harmony Ultimate w/Hub.  Eliminates having to rely on multiple remotes and button presses.

The Harmony Elite is a great remote for sure, just not worth $200+ for my own personal use.