Observer

New world box dvr issues

I've had a New world box for a couple months now, and most features that I've had previously with the older box are now gone:

1. No more on screen caller id.

2. No "replay" button on remote.

3. 6 tuners on old box, only 4 on new.

4. When fast forwarding, old box would back off a few seconds when the play button was pushed. New box doesn't have that function, so you miss those seconds of show.

5. Unable to access dvr remotely.

6. Remote is generally unintuitive.

7,  Unable to edit scheduled recordings.

These are all I can think about for now, may be more.

Perhaps I'm missing something as far as how to do any of these, if so, could someone explain?

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: New world box dvr issues

@sjg1 wrote:

I've had a New world box for a couple months now, and most features that I've had previously with the older box are now gone:

1. No more on screen caller id.

2. No "replay" button on remote.

3. 6 tuners on old box, only 4 on new.

4. When fast forwarding, old box would back off a few seconds when the play button was pushed. New box doesn't have that function, so you miss those seconds of show.

5. Unable to access dvr remotely.

6. Remote is generally unintuitive.

7,  Unable to edit scheduled recordings.

These are all I can think about for now, may be more.

Perhaps I'm missing something as far as how to do any of these, if so, could someone explain?

Good list,

Some of these issues can be resolved by going back to a box with a clock and getting the older remote back.  In fact, all of them.  With the exception that the boxes with clocks for the most part are now only two-tuners.  What you should try to do if you are near a Spectrum office, go to the office and ask for a six-tuner DVR.  This would be either the Cisco/Technicolor 9865 or the Arris 3600-M.  They are the best boxes out there, and get your old remote back.  I really like the Clicker Backlite!  The techs don't have six tuner boxes on their trucks anymore, so you'll have to see if a Spectrum Store carries one with the older and better remote.

I will address your numbered issues:

1) Caller ID on TV is being worked on for World Boxes in legacy TWC markets.  I know, they have been saying this since last October.  Would love to hear any progress in this issue.  Our family absolutely depends on Caller ID on TV, and I am holding on to my excellent Cisco 9865, hopefully until I die, because I don't want a World Box, don't like Spectrum Guide, and can't lose Caller ID on TV.  If you get a clock box and Subscribe to Spectrum Voice Landline, you will get Caller ID on TV back within 24 hours of the install of that box.

2.) Exchange your new remote at a Spectrum Store for the older remote, (and better one.) They will work with both World Box and "Clock Box."

3.) All you can do here is go to a Spectrum Store and try to get the Cisco/Technicolor 9865 DVR or the Arris 3600M DVR. (Both great six-tuner boxes!)

4.) You'll need to go back to the ODN-Navigator Guide, (get a clock box) AND older remote for that function.

5.) Get the older box and guide.  Remote services are coming out for World Box, but may not be offered in all markets.

6.) Exchange your new remote for the older one.

7.) This bug is being addressed.

I wish we could get more of an upward swing with the new boxes, and guide, but as this list shows, there is still much work to be done.

Satch

Observer

Thanks Satch for the quick reply.

I have 3 dvr's in the house. Thje one I replaced for the world box had a clock and 6 tuners. It was freezing up, locking up,  lost sound, and had to be rebooted once sometimes twice a week. Tech support said to replace it. Guy at store gave me an old box with a clock but when I set it up it only had 2 tuners. Took that back asking for 6 tuner box ahd he gave me an explanation that I think only he understood. Long story short, ended up with world box he said that's all they're giving out anymore other than old 2 tuner ones.

After I posted, I played with the new remote, and found out the "Back" button is also the Replay button (whoda thunk?).

The only good thing about the new box is direct access to Netflix.  Other than that, it's a downgrade.

One of the other boxes I have is the Arris, which I think I'll swap with the world box.

Again, thanks a lot for the reply. I appreciate it.

Helper

If you have boxes that lock, freeze, experience pixelation, or require frequent reboots likely are experiencing signal loss from loose connectors, damaged coax, failing amps, or excessive use of splitters.