Newcomer

New cable set-top box for non HDMI compatible TVs?

I have 2 TVs that do not have HDMI cable connections. 

One is a rear projection TV and the year-old cable box runs through a receiver and that works fine with a bazillion video and audio cables.

The new set-top box I got has only an HDMI output and my other TV has ONLY a cable input.

Can a purchase an adapter or exchange my set-top for a coax to-coax box?box.jpgset top

6 REPLIES 6
Proven Sharer

Re: New cable set-top box for non HDMI compatible TVs?

You do not mention what kind of connections your television accepts, and what kind of connection you need.  I beleive Spectrum will provide a box that will put out 480i composite over RCA cables, or NTSC on RF-3/4 (via coax), but they may no longer offer boxes that provide analog HD signals.

We might be at that place in time where you will not be able to obtain a set-top-box from your cable provider that will put out a HD signal (via a 5-RCA cable component connection) without the use of HDMI.

Spectrum Employee

I would recommend getting a rca to coax converter or hdmi to rca converter depending on the connections you have. Amazon has both and reasonably priced. This way you have newer fully featured equipment that is ready for when you upgrade.
Helper

Your local Spectrum store probably has some of the older boxes with coax and  component outputs still in stock.

Proven Sharer

@pastelero79wrote:
I would recommend getting a rca to coax converter or hdmi to rca converter depending on the connections you have. Amazon has both and reasonably priced. This way you have newer fully featured equipment that is ready for when you upgrade.

I would not recommend buying such a converter (for decoding/converting HDMI to analog) for two reasons:

1.  You are already paying Spectrum to rent a box, so have them proivde you with the required equipment.

2.  DMCA issues and HDMI handshakes.  If the converter you buy does not play nice and provide the STB with all the proper handshakes, the STB will not provide a signal to convert...

Contributor

I agree with dstoffa regarding the potential issues resulting from trying to use any kind of adapter with your TV; it's not worth the trouble. Since, as he mentioned, you are already paying a rental fee for a cable box, the best solution will be to contact Spectrum and have them install a compatible device. An HDMI-to-RCA cable adapter would probably work, but the problems such an adapter may cause, again, are not worth it.

I am not sure whether or not Spectrum even has cable boxes with coax (RF) output connectors anymore; I think they did away with them when the company went all-digital last year. As dstoffa also mentioned, the use of an incompatible device could cause HDCP handshake issues, among others, so my best advice would be, once again, to have Spectrum replace your cable box with an up-to-date digital box. The box will probably work as soon as it is connected, and there will be no compatibility issues; what's more, your cable service will now be 100-percent up to date. The old RCA connections are  relics of the analog TV era and, frankly, have no place in today's digital era unless you are trying to connect an older TV to a modern cable system, or if you are using an analog device such as a VCR with your flat screen. This kind of connection will eventually become obsolete anyway since analog TVs, like RCA cables, are relics of a bygone era in TV.

Your next TV will be a flat screen, so it will be to your advantage to have the most up-to-date cable connection available now. I've had a flat screen almost seven years, and like the picture quality so well I would not go back to analog--even if it were possible to do so. I still have a VCR so I can watch my large collection of VHS video cassettes

@dstoffawrote:

@pastelero79wrote:

I would not recommend buying such a converter (for decoding/converting HDMI to analog) for two reasons:

1.  You are already paying Spectrum to rent a box, so have them proivde you with the required equipment.

2.  DMCA issues and HDMI handshakes.  If the converter you buy does not play nice and provide the STB with all the proper handshakes, the STB will not provide a signal to convert...

, but I don't use it nearly as much as I use my HDMI-compatible DVD player.

Regards,

Jeff

Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

Helper

Set top boxes with coax, component, and composite outputs are still out there.  I was in my local store  last week and noticed the cabinet behind the counter had a few of the Moto DCX3400 boxes ready to give out.