Rookie

New Customer - World Box Questions

I got the new Spectrum 210 World Boxes installed a few days ago and had a couple of questions.  They have worked fine for 2 days but this morning I woke up to a screen saying something like "Receiving Channel Info...".  I had to reboot to clear that message.  Is this just another of the software bugs for this DVR?  From researching, it looks like there's still some issues to iron out.  In general, how often are software updates pushed out?   

Second question is about the Spectrum branded remote that came with it.  I like that it has a built in backlight, but on my remotes, the number pad is the only buttons that doesn't light up.  Is this normal?  It seems odd that every button except the number pad would light up.  Thanks for any feedback.

12 REPLIES 12
Helper

Re: New Customer - World Box Questions

The boxes getting hung up could be symptoms of either a software issue or poor signal strength/interference. If this is a common occurance I would call for a tech to come out and check all the connections and make sure there is no damaged coax anywhere.  Do you also have Spectrum internet? Do you have access to the modem's signal levels page? If so, post a screenshot...it may show something obvious with signal levels.

Which remote model do you have? If you have an RC122, try holding down the Light button for 5 seconds or so until the top buttons flash. 

Rookie

I think the Receiving Channel message is software from what I've googled.  It's only happened once and that was early this morning when I turned on the tv.  I have the Hitron modem so no access the signal.  I did a support chat yesterday on other items and they checked signal levels and everything was in range.  

The remote is URC 1160.

Observer

the numbers do not light up on that remote!!! when i had the world box i was getting that message also as well as things happening like the guide not downloading and it would sit there giving me a grey screen with lines going across it. another message i got was the channels i was subscribed to the box would tell me i was not subsceibed to them. the box was a real nightmare when i had it. i would not want it again though!!! as the guide to that box is up in the cloud and not downloaded to the HDD

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@tritechie wrote:

I got the new Spectrum 210 World Boxes installed a few days ago and had a couple of questions.  They have worked fine for 2 days but this morning I woke up to a screen saying something like "Receiving Channel Info...".  I had to reboot to clear that message.  Is this just another of the software bugs for this DVR?  From researching, it looks like there's still some issues to iron out.  In general, how often are software updates pushed out?   

Second question is about the Spectrum branded remote that came with it.  I like that it has a built in backlight, but on my remotes, the number pad is the only buttons that doesn't light up.  Is this normal?  It seems odd that every button except the number pad would light up.  Thanks for any feedback.

Hello,

Updates and system maintience while it can occur at any time, generally occur between 12am-6am on Tuesday mornings.  After you get the World Box, you may get the message one or two times on the New Spectrum Guide.  You would than use the Mini Guide to search for shows .

There was a maintenance update to many of the guides just a few days ago, so your box may have picked up the last update.  If however, this becomes a recurring issue with rebooting, or pixilating picture, you would have a signal, wiring, or drop line issue, and would have to call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.

If you ever need to call for a signal and drop line test, it is important to avoid rebooting any equipment for six hours prior to your service call.  This includes cable boxes, modems, and routers.  A reboot resets the error codes to zero, and the tech needs to see those error codes showing accurate readings on his meter when he does the signal test.

Second question, your remote may be the Clicker Backlite model.  The only thing that lights with those on most models is the buttons to which the pressed key responds,  Such as TV, Cable, etc.  The numbered buttons themselves of the remotes that I have seen, do not light.

Satch

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

the numbers do not light up on that remote!!! when i had the world box i was getting that message also as well as things happening like the guide not downloading and it would sit there giving me a grey screen with lines going across it. another message i got was the channels i was subscribed to the box would tell me i was not subsceibed to them. the box was a real nightmare when i had it. i would not want it again though!!! as the guide to that box is up in the cloud and not downloaded to the HDD

What box and guide do you have now?

Satch

Browser

@reds91185 wrote:

The boxes getting hung up could be symptoms of either a software issue or poor signal strength/interference. If this is a common occurance I would call for a tech to come out and check all the connections and make sure there is no damaged coax anywhere.  Do you also have Spectrum internet? Do you have access to the modem's signal levels page? If so, post a screenshot...it may show something obvious with signal levels.

Which remote model do you have? If you have an RC122, try holding down the Light button for 5 seconds or so until the top buttons flash. 

It is a software issue. Sometimes the box gets stuck on retrieving channel info and an authorziation hit has to be sent to correct the issue.

Browser

@Satch wrote:

@tritechie wrote:

Hello,

Updates and system maintience while it can occur at any time, generally occur between 12am-6am on Tuesday mornings.  After you get the World Box, you may get the message one or two times on the New Spectrum Guide.  You would than use the Mini Guide to search for shows .

There was a maintenance update to many of the guides just a few days ago, so your box may have picked up the last update.  If however, this becomes a recurring issue with rebooting, or pixilating picture, you would have a signal, wiring, or drop line issue, and would have to call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.

If you ever need to call for a signal and drop line test, it is important to avoid rebooting any equipment for six hours prior to your service call.  This includes cable boxes, modems, and routers.  A reboot resets the error codes to zero, and the tech needs to see those error codes showing accurate readings on his meter when he does the signal test.

Second question, your remote may be the Clicker Backlite model.  The only thing that lights with those on most models is the buttons to which the pressed key responds,  Such as TV, Cable, etc.  The numbered buttons themselves of the remotes that I have seen, do not light.

Satch

No updates have been issued for my Humax World Boxes with Spectrum Guide. Their has only been one software update issued since the initaly roll out of the Spectrum Guide software in Cincinnati Ohio. It is unacceptable how slow Charter Communication's is rolling out software fixes considering Time Warner Cable released software updates a lot faster to fix bugs when they rolled out Navigator to replace SARA in Cincinati Ohio. 

Rookie

@Satch wrote:

Satch

I think I have the newest remote.  It's got a Spectrum logo at the bottom.  I believe this remote is manufactured by Universal Electronics.   It has a blue "Menu" button above the number pad.  Every button above the number pad lights up.  

Observer

i have the arris DCX3600-M with the i guide @Satch