Newcomer

New Arris set-top box only finds 4 "DTV" channels on my Samsung TV

I bought a Samsung digital TV a few months ago to replace a very old CRT in my bedroom and, for that reason, finally got around to substituting the TWC digital adapter with a set-top box - they gave me an Arris. And I am having absolutely no luck getting more than a handful (literally) of channels to appear.

I've rebooted the cable box more times than I can count.

I've had the TWC tech support send new codes to the box at least twice.

I've tried connecting via the splitter they provided (since there is only a single cable jack - cable in - on the set top box) and having Samsung search for channels - several times each on STD, HRC and IRC. It finds perhaps 4 DTV channels and 2 cable channels with no signal (just the rainbow bars). Yes, I had the TV on channel 3 each time. Except when out of desperation I tried it all using channel 4. And channel 2.

I've connected via HDMI only to the TV, and it sees the channel guide but none of the channels, when selected, show video or audio (and the TV won't let me tune for channels since it views the HDMI input as a separate device from the "TV").

I'm even willing at this point to pay to have a TWC tech come out and do it for me, but darned if I can find a way to request one on this website.

I'm stumped. I'm about to turn in this piece of equipment back in and go back to the digital adapter - I didn't get all of the channels I pay for, but at least I got more than 4.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: New Arris set-top box only finds 4 "DTV" channels on my Samsung TV

I apologize for the issues you are having. With the box you would connect the coax cable line into the the cable in on the back of the box. Then have the HDMI cord go from the box to the TV. Then change the TV's input to HDMI. Once you do this you should get the channels on the TV. If that does not work please private message us @Forums_Help your account number or phone number so we can assist you further. 

Tyleen
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Expert

where are  you? (I Know  it's not NEohio... we still have 20+ analog ntsc channels.)

HRC/IRC/NTSC are analog channels

You may only get a couple channels with a coax straight to the TV. Most are encrypted qam.

There are some starter tier channels that are clear qam

Is the box a DTA or is it a real cable box... I need the model number.

DTA's must be activated, otherwise they don't work if not on the coax for a week or two.

You may also have a signal level issue, I don't understand why you are trying to add a splitter, Shouldn't need one other than there should be a 2 way to split the outsode line between the modem and a cable box.

Newcomer

Hi:

I am not connecting the TV directly to the cable line. I'm connecting the cable line to the Arris set top box (Arris/Motorola Model # DCX3200M). Again, the set top box only has a single cable jack (in) so I am having to use the provided coaxial splitter from TWC to connect the line into the splitter, then the two lines out - one to the cable in jack on the set top box, the other to the TV. 

I am not TRYING to get DTV channels - I just want cable - but those few DTV channels are the only signals that the TV is picking up when hooked up this way.. If I try hooking the cable line into the set top box and then use only an HDMI cable from the set top box to the TV, the TV refuses to recognize that as a channel source.

Helper

You don't need the splitter...just hook the coax from the wall to the cable box, then an HDMI to the TV. Make sure the TV is set to the HDMI input and control all channels from the cable box, not the TV.  If HDMI is giving you a handshake error you can try using the red, blue, green component connection instead.

Newcomer

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I have tried connecting the cable line directly to the set top box and then HDMI only from the set top box to the TV. I have made sure the TV source is set to HDMI. The TV sees the guide, but none of the channels tune in and the TV wont' allow me to tune the channels in this configuration because it sees HDMI as an input "separate" from the TV.

Helper

@miery71 wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I have tried connecting the cable line directly to the set top box and then HDMI only from the set top box to the TV. I have made sure the TV source is set to HDMI. The TV sees the guide, but none of the channels tune in and the TV wont' allow me to tune the channels in this configuration because it sees HDMI as an input "separate" from the TV.

Can you be more specific in what you mean when you say it sees HDMI as a separate input from the TV?  Have you tried more than one HDMI cable? Are you able to tune to channels via the guide if you are connected by coax from the wall to the box input, then coax from the box output to the TV instead of HDMI? (I thinkthe 3400 series has a coax input and a coax output)

Newcomer

Well, miracle of miracles - I reset the set top box ONE more time, hooked the cable line into the set top box (again), used HDMI from the box to the TV (again) and finally now I can access the channels with video and sound. Smiley Happy

Helper

Great! I just noticed that you have the 3200M, not the 3400 so coax to tv wouldn't even be an option.

HDMI cables can be very picky in the way they are connected, the angle of the connection, and the build quality of the actual cable itself.

Expert

I'll bet you never called TWC when you had the cable box connected. It needed to be authorized

The next issue is the HDMI input on your tv remained dead on some, you need to have an operating cable box turned on and connected before you turn on the TV, then need to detect inputs.

DTA's don't work at all untess first authorized by TWC, that takes a phone call when they're connected to the cable