Rookie

National Weather Service announcement is killing the audio

The last couple Flash Flood warnings from the National Weather Service have caused the audio to be silenced.  I have tried all sorts of things and the only thing I’ve found to work is to reboot my Arris DCX3600-M DVR.  I get the red banner across the top of the screen but absolutely no audio including no NWS audio warning.  Once the red banner goes away, the tv audio is still silent. Has anyone else witnessed this?

Update: just had another flash flood warning and everything worked properly this time, the red banner was displayed and the NWS announcement played as it should.  When the announcement ended the programming audio was restored.  If this continues I’ll delete this topic.

4 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: National Weather Service announcement is killing the audio

NWS warnings are always targetted to local areas.  Provide your ZIP Code so Spectrum can identify the specific head-end office that feeds your cable system and instruct them to fix the problem in their alerting decoder interfaces!

Rookie

My zip is 27260

Trusted Helper

@MikeG47 wrote:

My zip is 27260

Hi Mike,

Thanks for providing this!  People have similar issues with the Emergency Broadcast System Messages.  The EBS Messages are controlled by the FCC, and the Weather messages, obviously by the National Weather Service.

I would recommend waiting for at least ten minutes before rebooting the box.  If this does not solve the problem, don't reboot a second time.  Rebooting too much can put a strain on the boxes.  Best thing to do is to provide your your zip code and cable provider to the National Weather Service and say the NWS Emergency Weather Alerts are messing up the cable audio, if they are not gone in ten minutes  and one reboot of the box does not help.

You can follow them on Facebook and Twitter as well,  and provide your zip code and cable system to them when this happens again.

https://www.weather.gov/

Satch

Lead Moderator

@MikeG47 

Good morning. There is no need to delete your thread. Your peers may find

the information useful. 

Glad to hear things worked normally this time. Let us know if you see this issue 

again!

Take care. 
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums