Rookie

Just got the 210 that replaced an Arris 3200, ugh... Can I buy a used Arris?

To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I wish I had come to the forum BEFORE replacing boxes, but I've never been disappointed like this in the past. 

Main Problems:

1. The 210 can not see DVR from my current Arris 3600.  I was told about this ahead of time, still doesn't make it right.  We've got 3 boxes in our house and in the past I've had 3 different box manufacturers running at the same time and both non Arris boxes could see the DVR on the Arris 3600.  Why can't the 210 talk to the Arris?!?
  2. Caller ID does not work on my new 210.
  3. DVR on the 210 does not let you specify how many episodes to keep.  Seriously, this may be the DUMBEST change and sets the box back by like 3 generations alone! 
  4. I agree with others - the new guide is not user friendly (to be kind).
  5. Its only been 2 weeks, but i am really starting to dislike the new remote.

My question: I've noticed many Arris 3600's for sale on places like Ebay. Since Spectrum will not give me another Arris, can I buy a used one and have it activated?  Do I need to find a used TWC Arris or will any Arris get the job Done?

Basically, I'm paying $13 bucks/month for the crappy Spectrum 210 dvr box that only allows me to rewind a couple shows at a time... I can't believe all the other functionality I lost with a new box.  If I can't buy a new Arris, you can be darn sure I'll be getting a new Roku stick and use the spectrum app.

Nice work Spectrum, I thought new boxes were supposed to be improvements?!?

12 REPLIES 12
Trusted Helper

Re: Just got the 210 that replaced an Arris 3200, ugh... Can I buy a used Arris?

@BSC249 wrote:

To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I wish I had come to the forum BEFORE replacing boxes, but I've never been disappointed like this in the past. 

Main Problems:

1. The 210 can not see DVR from my current Arris 3600.  I was told about this ahead of time, still doesn't make it right.  We've got 3 boxes in our house and in the past I've had 3 different box manufacturers running at the same time and both non Arris boxes could see the DVR on the Arris 3600.  Why can't the 210 talk to the Arris?!?
  2. Caller ID does not work on my new 210.
  3. DVR on the 210 does not let you specify how many episodes to keep.  Seriously, this may be the DUMBEST change and sets the box back by like 3 generations alone! 
  4. I agree with others - the new guide is not user friendly (to be kind).
  5. Its only been 2 weeks, but i am really starting to dislike the new remote.

My question: I've noticed many Arris 3600's for sale on places like Ebay. Since Spectrum will not give me another Arris, can I buy a used one and have it activated?  Do I need to find a used TWC Arris or will any Arris get the job Done?

Basically, I'm paying $13 bucks/month for the crappy Spectrum 210 dvr box that only allows me to rewind a couple shows at a time... I can't believe all the other functionality I lost with a new box.  If I can't buy a new Arris, you can be darn sure I'll be getting a new Roku stick and use the spectrum app.

Nice work Spectrum, I thought new boxes were supposed to be improvements?!?

Couple of things,

No, you can't buy a cable box from Amazon or E-Bay or other vendors.  They have to be not only pinged to your account, but authorized by Spectrum.  Word of caution is that some of those bought boxes may be "hot." illegal.

All you need to do to get a box with a clock back is you can go to a Spectrum office and swap it out.  Just ask for a box with a clock.  They will have some for sure.  Tip is that the Techicolor boxes are better than the Humax boxes, but many people don't iike them.  No Remote DVR Manager on World Boxes either in legacy TWC markets.  Still waiting.

Not near a Spectrum Office? Call and set up a truck roll and get a box with a clock.  Just say you hate the new World  Box and need a box with a clock.  The six-tuner boxes with clocks for DVR service are the best, Cisco 9865 and Arris 3600-M.  They are rare though.  The techs have boxes with clocks.  Only two tuners, but you will get your clock and old guide back!

Oh, you CAN use your old remote with the new Spectrum Guide, so that's one consolation.  I have the Clickr Backlight and love it.  But I still have the better ODN Navigator Guide. The boxes with clocks don't have Spectrum Guide yet.

Yea, still waiting for Caller ID on TV to show up on the World Boxes.

Hope this helps.  Post back at what you decide to do here.

Satch

Observer

Re: Just got the 210 that replaced an Arris 3200, ugh... Can I buy a used Arris?

i would go into your local spectrum store if your near one and tell them you want a arris 3600 6 tuner with. to this day the 210 box is still a nightmare not as bad but all the kinks still are not worked out of it yet. i would love to meet the clown that designed the 210 box as none of it makes any sense to me. and there's no fan in that box for cooling so if your AC breaks and it's 100 out guess what that box will croak and you will still be at the store swapping it out. don't ask me how i know this rolls eyes. as satch you could do a truck roll for a 6 tuner unit but the reps wont guaranty what you will get same as if they ship one to you from the wharehouse.. the best bet is to go into a store and tell them you want a 6 tuner box.

another option is to buy a tivo but you will loose ondemand and possibly some channels your paying for not worth it to me. i have seen the motorola dual tuner on amazon for like 400.00 smackers are you sure you want to pay that high of price for something you won't be able to use??? let alone something so dated you wont find the 6 tuner arris anywhere for sale i looked lol..

Highlighted
Rookie

Not really what I was hoping to hear but Thx for the info!
I have a couple stores near me so I'll go see about getting the Arris 3600 and I am definitely switching back to the old remote!
Rookie

I already use my own Zoom modem and TP Link router that I bought, so yea, IF it was an option, I would have been very interested in buying my own box. Just not at those prices! Ebay has 'em for anywhere from $30-$50 bucks .
Participant

I have realized that Spectrum does not care, or will not update any of their cable set top boxes. All thay are interested in is the Cell Phone and Internet market. The cable boxes thay offer are a joke! Some of them are over ten years old. I just wish I had new Altice box, but the service is not avaiable in my area. I would drop them in a minute. And to add insult to injury, I have been informed that my "Discount" time has run out, so  my monthly triple play rate increased by $18.00. 

JJK
Observer

ofcourse there not gonna update there boxes. streamings where it's at now. video service for many providers has been failing over the years. the biggest profit for spectrum is there home phone service since it's nothing more than voip voice over ip. and even then one can go on amazon and buy a voip box and get free service but in todays world who dont have a cell???

oh did you ever get that 6 tuner box?

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

ofcourse there not gonna update there boxes. streamings where it's at now. video service for many providers has been failing over the years. the biggest profit for spectrum is there home phone service since it's nothing more than voip voice over ip. and even then one can go on amazon and buy a voip box and get free service but in todays world who dont have a cell???

oh did you ever get that 6 tuner box?

Conventional TV video is not a profitable venture for any of these companies anymore.  Any sub video loses are more than made up on Internet and Mobile Phone.  I still like the TV options and have land-line service from Spectrum. but I am not a representative sample of most people,

If your box or other equipment  is slow. or poor in responsiveness, set up a signal and drop line test service call.  REMEMBER, NEWER BOXES WILL NEVER SOLVE BAD SIGNAL PROBLEMS.  Users will need to avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours before their signal and line check service call  to avoid a reset of the signal error codes.  If your signals are good, your tech will update your box,  If you have never done a signal or drop line test service call, and you are having any problems with any Spectrum services, you should set up an appointment if you are having issues for say, more than a week, or it has become a day to day thing.

Not all the boxes are the greatest, but if yours is approaching ten years old, set up that signal  and drop line test.  Sometimes a new drop line or wiring will speed up the equipment, and sometimes the signals and lines will be fine, but the technology if its going on a decade old, consider updating.

Satch

Participant

No. My local Spectrum store does not have any. 

JJK
Helper

Another option is to buy a TiVo and only have to lease a cablecard from Spectrum.