Not applicable

How to extend time on live recording?

I can't figure out how to extend recording time on a live recording. In other words, if I should tune into a show already in progress and decide I want to record it (clicking the "record" button on remote), it always cuts off the last couple minutes of the program.  I could find no options available to extend recording time on live recordings as with other DVRs that I've had.  The only time I see this option is when setting up a series recording previous to when the show has started.  I've called customer service about this, and they said to use chat feature on website.  I did that, and the chat person couldn't answer my question either.  LIke this is some kind of weird request.  I just switched from DirecTV to TW and now I'm questioning this decision.  

Everyone's Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Expert

Re: How to extend time on live recording?

What model DVR and is this a prescheduled recording that ran over?

In other words per the guide, was supposed to run from 1:00 - 2:00 but started at 1:15 and ended at 2:15..

Helper

This happens all the time with channels like History, you could record the show following, not a solution, but does work.
Not applicable

The DVR is a Motorola DCX3400.  I've been all over internet trying to find operating instructions but have only been able to locate installation instructions.  I tried recording various live recordings in progress, e.g. movies or regular shows, and the same thing happens every time, cutting off last couple minutes.  I know with sports or special events sometimes the time runs over, but to my experience this doesn't happen that often with regular programming. 

Not applicable

I had thought of doing that as a last resort!  It seems like such a waste of recording space, but if there's no other way, I'll try it.  I guess that will also depend on if the following show starts a little earlier as well.  I can't believe Time-Warner/Spectrum is launching their new service with this inferior equipment.  This machine is like something from the 90s--was shocked when I saw it up and running.  Thanks.

Expert

All of this is controlled by the guide. Again, we need to know what the guide sys the start stop times are and if the program ran later than the guides stop time.

That will be a guide v/s program source issue which TWC claims they can't fix... It has been a problem with DVR's from day 1 and both Tribune media and Gracenote.

They refuse to take complaints from TWC customers as well.

Best bet is if all customers cancel their TWC dvr services, lol. maybe TWC will do something to improve the guides times...

It's usually blamed on the guide releasing times a week in advance and then blamed on the program for changing the time.

Spectrum Employee

Okay, so it's a bit of a process, so bear with me:

1) Set the recording through the guide

2) Go to your list of recordings

3) Find the active recording on that list

4) Select that program

5) It should come up with 3 options on the left: one of which should be "record options".

6) Once selected, you should see the normal recording settings window, which has "end time" as an option.

Hope that helps!

Boz
Sharer

This is an issue with TWC DVRs.  Mine is Arris/Motorola DVR Model DCX3510.  I'm in NW Ohio.  If I press record while watching a show or movie, like if I have to leave before it is over, it records from the beginning, but many times ends around 2 minutes early.  This happens on different channels and different shows or movies.

Not applicable

Thanks! I actually tried this exact thing, as it seemed the most logical. However, after selecting the program that is actively recording, the only options presented are play, go to beginning, change save features, erase, and lock. There are other issues with this box; clearly it's not well-designed. I may go into a Time-Warner storefront and see if I can talk to someone about swapping this machine out for something better. Sometimes you get better service if they have to deal with you face-to-face. Otherwise, I will likely cancel cable.
Participant

You should beable to go into the recording settings and extend the end time that recording goes.  If you are recording a series you could do that for all recordings.   If it is allready a series you have scheduled you can use your list button then right over a couple times to manage.  Then manage series, pick the series and the record options should be on the left under the show's picture.