Rookie

Help me out in regards to cancelling TV/Phone service and returning equipment?

Hey lads, hopefully the formatting isn't broken due to me copy and pasting this, didnt realize I didn't have an account, thanks for checking this out!

I hope this is the right place for this, as I didnt really see any other appropriate forum.

Title sums it up. I was wanting to cut back my bill of 177 bucks a month, and as I recall, cutting out TV/Phone will bump it down to 70 or so a month.

Now, here is my problemo. I know i obviously need to take the set box thingy back, but theres another issue. I've been subscribed to TWC for at least 6 or so years now, and apparently my plan is a Legacy variant, and as such I was informed of a free internet upgrade (iirc it will bump me up to 100mbps download on the new plan; while the old one was only at 30mbps or so.)

Thirdly, lets say I call TWC/Spectrum tomorrow and say, yeah - I would like to cut out TV and Phone, and take the internet upgrade. Would my internet service be cut off until I recieve the new equipment, or will it just be while the technician/myself is replacing the equipment?

Lastly, if I do all of this tomorrow, will I only be on the hook for 70 dollars, or will I have to pay the 177 dollars next month, or will I have to pay that until TWC/Spectrum recieves their equipment back? (highly unlikely I'll be able to get the old internet stuff/tv box back before the next cycle,  working retail during the holiday season is F U N, might  I have you.)

6 REPLIES 6
Helper

Re: Help me out in regards to cancelling TV/Phone service and returning equipment?

Your bill would be prorated for the time in the billing cycle when changes are made.

For most people, Spectrum internet plans are a better bang for your buck than staying on legacy TWC plans.  You don't say what modem you have now, but it will likely be just fine for the 100 Mbps tier. You can exchange it if you want or, since we don't know exactly which model you have, it may be obsolete.

Do you have a Spectrum store near you? I would recommend taking your equipment (set top boxes, modem if you want, remotes, power cords, etc.) there in person, get a return receipt, and have them switch over your plan right there. I did that and the changes were immediate with no interruption of service.

Rookie

Re: Help me out in regards to cancelling TV/Phone service and returning equipment?

Ah, so it scales based off how long I' used my current plan? eh, if it saves me dosh, why not?

BTW, my current modem is the Linksys E2500, and my main concern is that if I do get on this new plan, my service will be cut off, but I'm also thinking I'll still have internet, but will not be able to access the speeds till I upgrade.

Helper

Linksys E2500 is a router, not a modem.

Highlighted
Observer

log into your online acct and click on the equipment tab and there's a thingy down below that will more than likely sat t.v. with an arrow going down. drop that down and click on internet and it should pull up your router and modem there's a ? mark next to it hover over that and it should give you the make and model of the router and modem

Rookie

Ah thanks! I did a bit of research, and my ubee DVW3201B seems to handle up to (as per the product page) 343/downstream and 122 mbps upstream, so I finally think I know what I need to return. Thanks! (by the way, how incorrect am i in assuming that downstream and upstream are related to download speeds and upload speeds?)

Helper

@SouleroXT wrote:

Ah thanks! I did a bit of research, and my ubee DVW3201B seems to handle up to (as per the product page) 343/downstream and 122 mbps upstream, so I finally think I know what I need to return. Thanks! (by the way, how incorrect am i in assuming that downstream and upstream are related to download speeds and upload speeds?)

The Ubee DVW3201B is an 8x4 modem, and while it will technically achieve 343/122 in lab conditions, real world will be much less (and Spectrum will likely force you to upgrade if you move to any tier over 100/10).

Are you asking if downstream/upstream signal levels impact speeds achieved? They can, but they also impact things like packet loss/latency/jitter/etc. You could have Gig speeds but have signal issues and test at gig all day but have drops, lags, or picture pixelation. Hardcore gamers will take a solid, stable, low latency connection that is slower any day for high speed connections with high latency.