Newcomer

HD DVR with CEC?

Is there a HD DVR cable box that works with HDMI CEC? I want it to work like DirecTV where turning the TV on also turns the cable box on.

I have the Arris DCX3600m and it’s terrible. There is a known issue where it breaks your CEC setup.

Maybe  the Cisco or Samsung HD DVR work properly?

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: HD DVR with CEC?

@Swoc wrote:

Is there a HD DVR cable box that works with HDMI CEC? I want it to work like DirecTV where turning the TV on also turns the cable box on.

I have the Arris DCX3600m and it’s terrible. There is a known issue where it breaks your CEC setup.

Maybe  the Cisco or Samsung HD DVR work properly?

Hello,

You can program your remote's "System Button" to have the TV/Cable Box work together.  For best HDMI communication, program your System button so  that the TV is turned on LAST in the sequence.  When programmed, the System button, (Or All Power Button) should:

• Turn on the cable box.
  • Than, about 3-5 seconds later, turn on the TV.

To find how to program your System Button- (Sometimes known as the "All Power" button) do the following:

Search on line for the exact make and model of your Remote Control.

Results will usually be in PDF format.  Click on that link.

A PDF file will open up showing you how to program your Remote control.  You will want to control the "System" button or the "All Power" button.  The regular Power button, only turns on and off individual devices and is not what you want.

Note that this process should work on all the boxes.  Also note that you MUST have the correct code for your TV programmed first for the System button to work.  This will be in the PDF instructions for programing your remote.

Satch

Expert

If it louses up your CEC downstream, make a pin 13 break cable by using a hdmi to dvi cable and then a dvi to hdmi adapter to convert it back.

While CEC and ARC are nice functions, not all devices support them.

The problem with the twc remote system power  is that it will go out of sync where one device is off the other on.

especially in a room with sunlight.

Expert

BTW, turning off Cable boxes & DVRs are futile, it still draws 95% of the full on power.