Newcomer

Guide problems

We have several complaint about the television guide service. 

1. When you search for programs, it comes up with images that are difficult to read the titles of the shows, rather than an alphabetical listing of shows that is easy to navigate and read. 
  2. Many show are not available On Demand until at least 48 hours from broadcast.
  3. Also, shows are not available from the start of the season, only the last 4 episodes and if you want to view the season from the start, you cannot.
  4. When watching a show On Demand and you pause to do something, like go and do laundry or use the bathroom, it times out and starts over from the beginning.
  5. Another issue, for example, when you are on Channel 1000 On Demand portal, and then you go to 1001 for Primetime On Demand, the guide is not showing that, but showing the On Demand portal info you were just viewing.
4 REPLIES 4
Trusted Helper

Re: Guide problems

@corwinamber wrote:

We have several complaint about the television guide service. 

1. When you search for programs, it comes up with images that are difficult to read the titles of the shows, rather than an alphabetical listing of shows that is easy to navigate and read. 
  2. Many show are not available On Demand until at least 48 hours from broadcast.
  3. Also, shows are not available from the start of the season, only the last 4 episodes and if you want to view the season from the start, you cannot.
  4. When watching a show On Demand and you pause to do something, like go and do laundry or use the bathroom, it times out and starts over from the beginning.
  5. Another issue, for example, when you are on Channel 1000 On Demand portal, and then you go to 1001 for Primetime On Demand, the guide is not showing that, but showing the On Demand portal info you were just viewing.

Greetings,

I can help with some of these questions.  For reference, what is the make and model of your cable box?  Legacy boxes, such as Scientific Atlanta Series (SA) and Motorola boxes cannot do a program guide with the enhanced features such as expanded DVR storage, enhanced search, and HD menus because of the limitations of the aging hardware in those boxes.  (Ranging from ten to fifteen years old.) Traditionally, you must have a newer box to get a more modern guide and enhanced features.  These boxes are Arris, Samsung, and Cisco models. 

Furthermore, where you live can also determine the software that your cable system uses on your boxes.  Some division head-ends use the older boxes (SA and Motorola) but others use the modern boxes.  (Arris, Cisco, and Samsung.)  The type of box you have, and where you live will play a role in the type of guide you see on your set top and mobile devices, which may be similar, or quite different.  Answers are below:

1.)   if you do not like the cover art images for movies and shows, ( I love the cover art, but everyone is different.)  my recommendation would be to get one of the older boxes.  (SA or Motorola.)  You will get a more basic interface, but I have to warn you that the speed of the boxes will be much slower and if you have DVR service, your storage will be reduced greatly.  Keep that in mind.  Some people may like a simplier guide, without all the enhancements.  Perhaps your situation may fit that mold.  An SA or Motorola box won't have the cover art, and you will get the basic title search listings.

2.) On Demand Show content is always the responsibility of the host station providing the content.  Cable, Dish, and U-Verse have no jurisdication over when a show appears in the On Demand library.  Two to seven days is the norm for all shows to appear On Demand after their original broadcast date.  If you believe the station is not showing On Demand Content in a timely manner or On Demand Shows are missing, you would have to go to that station's website, or call them through direct contact about On Demand.  Spectrum has no control over this.

3.) See answer #2.  Additionally, On Demand is not designed to be a permanent storage archive to catch up on Movies and Shows.  System bandwidth limitations with such technology would make it impossible for cable, dish, or U-Verse to store all that content.  On Demand is only designed to be a catch up process for about the first three weeks or so of shows missed.  If you want more of an On Demand Archive of shows, you can always watch online at the station's website or perhaps consider a NetFlix subscription.

4.) I agree with your assessments here.  You should be able to select Resume Show regardless of the box you have to pick up on a show in progress rather than playing it back from the beginning.

5.) This could be a bug or an element by design.  Note that the true On Demand Portal with the cover art and show description enhancements is only available on a modern box, (Arris, Cisco, and Samsung) and in reference to the examples above, depends on your head-end and the guides that your division uses.

Satch

Everyone's Tags (8)
Newcomer

I have 2 boxes, guides are not the same, the way they operate is not the same and one box will not let me access some of the programs that I can receive on the other box, have re-programed and that does not work.

Trusted Helper

@__sherrelyn62 wrote:

I have 2 boxes, guides are not the same, the way they operate is not the same and one box will not let me access some of the programs that I can receive on the other box, have re-programed and that does not work.

You might consider swapping out the box that has the guide you like least,  Get each box to be the same make so that working with the guide  represents the easiest way for you to  use both boxes .

The other school of thought is don't fix what's not broken.  By having two different guides you can evaluate the pros and cons of each system.

Satch

Lead Moderator

We thank you for your feedback.

One thing, you can still view the available On Demand content via category.

Prime Time On Demand, Entertainment On Demand as well as other categories.

You can hit the guide 2x and select the On Demand option.

You will get the guide with only the On Demand options, scroll to Prime Time 

On Demand (for instance) and select the by Channel just as before. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums