Trusted Helper

Re: Guide not working on all channels

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard back on this issue?  (Mods?  Customers?) as to what is causing this, and what Spectrum is working on to fix this?  Could Spectrum be planning a big update to the search?  Everything is messed up now with the B-button search.

This is just one example,  You're watching a football game, and instead of going to College Football or NFL Football, B-button search brings up something called NFL Football Fanatic.  Go through those listings and everything is listed On Demand!  It is almost like live sports are completely gone.

I would like to be able to provide a proper answer to customers who are asking about this, but can't because I don't know myself.  If anyone hears from the grapevine what's going on, please post.  Thank you!

Satch

Lead Moderator

Hi All!

I do see there is a posted issue now on this. It does not list the specific cause for this but it is under investigation. 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Julia,

To summarize there are three different types of onscreen guides depending upon the cable box you are using.   The three types are "Spectrum",  "iGuide" and "ODN/MDM".

The problem seems to reside in all boxes nationwide using ODN/MDM.   The problem was first noticed aproximately 4 weeks ago.

The problem is when using the search function either from the menu or using the "B" button on the remote many relevant entries are omitted.   A search for "NFL" brings some results but not "NFL Football".  A search for "BONANZA"  brings up no results.   These are only two examples, someone estimated over half of the relevant entries are missing.

The problem is in the ODN/MDM software or programming and is not the relevant to box or signal issues.

Highlighted
Observer

This may also be relevant.

I am currently watching "NFL Football".   When I press the "B" button (search) on the remote it brings up "NFL Football Fanatic" only and no listings for "NFL Football".

On the other hand if I hit the "INFO" button twice, it correctly displays the info for the game I am watching. Also there are four options shown on the bottom left.  If you go down to "Other Games" and select, it will list the other NFL games in chronological order.   

So it appears that the correct listing data is not missing from the system, the search function is not finding it.

Trusted Helper

@13 wrote:

This may also be relevant.

I am currently watching "NFL Football".   When I press the "B" button (search) on the remote it brings up "NFL Football Fanatic" only and no listings for "NFL Football".

On the other hand if I hit the "INFO" button twice, it correctly displays the info for the game I am watching. Also there are four options shown on the bottom left.  If you go down to "Other Games" and select, it will list the other NFL games in chronological order.   

So it appears that the correct listing data is not missing from the system, the search function is not finding it.

Excellent summaries 131

i am  having the same exact issues in Brookfield Wisconsin with ODN Guide B-button search (zip is 53045)  The search finds almost no titles with the B-button, or in the case of the B-button keyboard with the Football summary, no longer finds any live games.  I also get "B-button search "Football Fanatic" with a bunch of On Demand listings when watching a live football game.

The B-button search in ODN-Navigator brings up no live shows, sports, events, or sports teams.  On what I now estimate to be up to 70% of channels in the system, when you press the B button to find shows in a Time Grid cell nothing comes up  on keyboard search results.

When this started happening about a month ago, I turned off the Auto Search in Settings and than back on again to see if the B-search keyboard database would refresh over time.  It made no difference.

Because of this flaw, there is only one way to find a show for the past month:

You must painfully and time consumingly scroll through the Time Grid Guide and Press Info when you want to take further action on show episodes that you want to see or set up to record.  Some users have reported that the Info button does not always work for them even in doing that.  But in my case, INFO seems to work, and as stated is the only way to search for a show in ODN, because up to 70% of the B-button search show results in Navigator is broken nationwide.

I can confirm that the Info button and Time Grid shows that the shows are in the search.  But the B-button search is not listing them in almost 70% of the instances tried.  You either get nothing doing a B-button search, or a very brief "Loading Data" please wait and than nothing.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@13 wrote:

Upgraded to a cisco box a few days ago and am having the same problems.  Also error messages on the info button, sometimes it works sometimes not.

South bay area of Southern California.   I had called Tech Support, they opened up a ticket.  Would it help to refer them to this thread if I need to call back?

Yes 13!

Definitely reference it because you have provided some important NEW information!  The B-button search is not showing listings in Southern California either on a majority of channels.  Your information tells us that this is not a state-wide problem, but may be a nationwide issue.  List your box make and model as well.  (What is your zip code?)  The affected guide is the Navigator Guide with the ODN software were the B-button search does not return listing titles now up to 60% of the time even though they are in the system.

Too many channels are not showing up in B-button search to even begin to list them.  Sports Teams are missing completely.  B-button search is now almost completely useless.

Anyone in any state with this problem, please call in and report this.  Now in my case, in Brookfield Wisconsin (53045), on my Cisco 9865, the missing B button search titles have been missing for about a month.  Those who are participating in this thread, please list the following:

• City, State, and Zip
  • Box make and model
  • Any further examples of missing keyboard B-button search data or error messages.

Satch

So(uthern) CA(lifornia)

Arris DCX3510M

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Searching-doesn-t-find-the-titles-but-Guide-shows-the... for my detailed issues that I saw last night. Smiley Sad

Trusted Helper

Guys,

Still out on the ODN-Navigator B-button keyboard search today.  Today the screensaver kicked in on the box while watching TV. (not On Demand.)  If that happens to you, just hit any cable related button on your remote to bring the picture back.  As a sidenote, I hate how the screensaver is designed to kick in after only five minutes of pausing for VOD  Whether or not this is related to the ODN keyboard search problem around the country, I do not know.

My theory is that the keyboard database is so screwed up, that Spectrum may need to have their engineers do a complete re-cataloging of the keyboard search data and roll this out to various state divisions during their Tuesday Morning 12am-6am maintenance window.  However, the keyboard search issue has NEVER been this bad on ODN Navigator for this length of time, ever.  Spectrum may not wait til that Tuesday time, because of the severity of this problem.

I for one wish that we could go back to the old SA-box search system, until this gets fixed.  That SA-box search system was dated, but more reliable.  At least we would have a way to find our shows using the keyboard until the advanced keyboard search is fixed.  Let's watch and comment for any updates on this topic.  What do you guys think of my idea?  (Going back to the old SA-box search until the cloud search keyboard data is fixed?)  My box did this back in July when an update did not take.  So we know that advanced ODN boxes have that capability

Satch

Community Manager

All,

Our network team has reported that this issue has been resolved.   You may need to power cycle your equipment to push through the update.  

If you are still experiencing an issue, we encourage you to contact support directly for further assistance.

Please contact us at: