Participant

Dish Hopper vs. Spectrum Humax

I recently moved from Dish for one reason: Spectrum Sportsnet and the L.A. Dodgers.  I finally got tired of not being able to watch a game whenever I wanted.  Honestly, if Dish had been able to make a deal with Spectrum to carry Sportsnet, i'd still be with them and here's why:

The Hopper is far better than the Humax World Box.  Double the storage space, more tuners, a better interface, and some important features lacking in Spectrum's offerings.  First, why Spectrum doesn't offer a whole house system is beyond me.  It seems like a no-brainer to have a Joey-like device that can access the main DVR without having to get a second DVR that has to be separately programmed to record the same shows.  But Spectrum doesn't have it.

Next, I haven't figured out a way to have the DVR record all Dodger games, without me having to set up individual games every couple of days.  The Hopper allowed me to set that up with one or two clicks.  Again, no brainer stuff that is inexplicably missing with the Spectrum system.

Next, Spectrum apparently lacks the ability to save a limited number of episodes from a series.  I honestly don't need to save an unlimited number of the news shows I watch, and I would have liked an option to keep one or two shows max at any given time.  Once again, no-brainer stuff.

Finally, unlike the Dish Hopper, you cannot access your home DVR from the mobile app, and are limited to live programming.  Another frustrating limitation.

On the positive side, Spectrum offers more HD programming at the price point I'm willing to pay and the quality of the picture appears to be slightly better than Dish.  In addition, I won't have to put up with Dish's seemingly endless disputes with providers and the loss of programming that results.

In the end, I'm glad I made the switch as I'm now able to watch all of the Dodger games.  But Specrum equipment is really poor in comparison to the satellite companies, unfortunately.

Btw, if any of you have solutions to the above problems, I'd appreciate your input.

4 REPLIES 4
Trusted Helper

Re: Dish Hopper vs. Spectrum Humax

@atomx66 wrote:

I recently moved from Dish for one reason: Spectrum Sportsnet and the L.A. Dodgers.  I finally got tired of not being able to watch a game whenever I wanted.  Honestly, if Dish had been able to make a deal with Spectrum to carry Sportsnet, i'd still be with them and here's why:

The Hopper is far better than the Humax World Box.  Double the storage space, more tuners, a better interface, and some important features lacking in Spectrum's offerings.  First, why Spectrum doesn't offer a whole house system is beyond me.  It seems like a no-brainer to have a Joey-like device that can access the main DVR without having to get a second DVR that has to be separately programmed to record the same shows.  But Spectrum doesn't have it.

Next, I haven't figured out a way to have the DVR record all Dodger games, without me having to set up individual games every couple of days.  The Hopper allowed me to set that up with one or two clicks.  Again, no brainer stuff that is inexplicably missing with the Spectrum system.

Next, Spectrum apparently lacks the ability to save a limited number of episodes from a series.  I honestly don't need to save an unlimited number of the news shows I watch, and I would have liked an option to keep one or two shows max at any given time.  Once again, no-brainer stuff.

Finally, unlike the Dish Hopper, you cannot access your home DVR from the mobile app, and are limited to live programming.  Another frustrating limitation.

On the positive side, Spectrum offers more HD programming at the price point I'm willing to pay and the quality of the picture appears to be slightly better than Dish.  In addition, I won't have to put up with Dish's seemingly endless disputes with providers and the loss of programming that results.

In the end, I'm glad I made the switch as I'm now able to watch all of the Dodger games.  But Specrum equipment is really poor in comparison to the satellite companies, unfortunately.

Btw, if any of you have solutions to the above problems, I'd appreciate your input.

Several things,

Legacy TWC had a Whole Home DVR solution, which is still supported for legacy subs.  But Spectrum does not do Whole Home DVR installs.  However, the DVR boxes are cheaper.  A little secret. Years ago, Charter, before the TWC/BHN/Charter= Spectrum merger, had a Whole House DVR program, but it was scrapped as there were too many problems with it.

Spectrum sees TV service as a streaming and cloud-based technology and wants the ability for the user to have the same GUI across all boxes, devices, and platforms.  Cloud-based DVR service IS OUT NOW for Spectrum.  You may want to check your local area and call customer service for details.  The intent of this will be to replace Whole House DVR programing.  I don't know all the details of this new program or the storage specs, but it is something that you might want to consider.  Customer Service can help with this.

Do you run the new Spectrum Guide and have DVR service?  Mobile service is just starting to come out for Spectrum Guide.  World Boxes have 4 tuners but 1TB of storage.  You could go to a Spectrum Store and try your hardest to get either the SIX-TUNER DVR model.  The Cisco 9865 (which I recommend) or the Arris-3600M.  These boxes have 1TB of storage and six tuners.  They run the better ODN Navigator Guide.  AND they will work with mobile devices like Remote DVR Management within 48 hours of installation.  Additionally, if you have Spectrum Voice Landline service, you will also get Caller ID on TV if you get a six-tuner DVR.  Caller ID on TV is not out yet for the New Spectrum Guide on World Boxes.  But you will like the guide better on a box with a clock.  Unfortuinately, if you don't get the Arris 3600 or the Cisco 9865, the boxes with the clocks have only two-tuners.  But the ODN Navigator Guide is a better software.

Have a look at the ODN Guide.  Second Guide shown at this link:  That is what you will get on a box with a clock:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-t?redirected=true

On the inability to record live Sports games as a series on Spectrum Boxes:  This was done, because Gracenote Media Services, who does the guide data for many cable providers, sees the issue with problems of games being postponed, running over-time, blackouts, and last-minute schedule changes.  In short, it would be too difficult to do Sports Series Recordings, because playback data would often be too inaccurate for the reasons above.

Furthermore, cable providers like Spectrum have tons of legacy boxes in the field with much less storage space than the modern boxes.  This is based on individual markets, channel capacity, and the type of hardware and software used.  With some of the legacy boxes having very small hard drives, it would be impossible for the guide systems to record series games.  After three games, your hard drive would be full.  All the DVR's have a "Delete if space is needed option." But the reasoning still stands.

There should be a way to save the number of episodes that you want to keep in Spectrum Guide.  You should be able to go under Series Options, highlight number of episodes and use the left-right options to toggle your choices.  On the ODN Navigator Guide, you can do exactly that.

On the Hopper, it is possible that they may also have patented copyright technology that can not be used by other companies.  One downside of cable is that the providers do have to accommodate to more boxes, and software, and hardware specifications than a satellite system.  But I have always believed that cable provides better overall value.

Satch

Observer

while there's no box out there that can out perform the hopper 3!!! what about the provider. no 1 i can't see spending 140.00 a month on t.v.  before taxes and see's just for the top 250 with a hopper 3 and one mini client!!! no 2 with all of the blackouts dish has been having due to carrage rights will they still even be arouns in 10 years??? FYI dish is getting into 5G cellular as they started building there own network. if t mo and sprint merge then dish will get the boos mobile customers from my understanding.

Observer
Highlighted
Helper

I recommend going the TiVo route. You can find used TiVo units with lifetime subscriptions for a decent price (or TiVo units without lifetime for dirt cheap) that will do most everything you want with a cablecard and tuner adapter from Spectrum ($2 a month for me).

I personally have the TiVo Bolt and one Mini. The Mini can access everything from the main Bolt and streaming apps like Netflix. With the TiVo app on my phone I can access some recordings from anywhere (depends on the DRM restrictions), manage the DVR, and coming soon the app can be installed on devices like the Apple TV or Roku to act like a Mini device.