Seasoned Contributor

Digital adapter vs. Cable box question?

So, can you get more channels with a cable box compared to a digital adapter box? I hope you understand what I am asking. I went to my neighbor's house to watch the Thursday Night Football game and he gets it on his standard Tv package. I went home and couldn't get the end of the game on my digital adapter box. What gives, something strange is going on?

Do the cable boxes have a different setup or what. Anyway, please get back to this thread as soon as you can, as I have to make up my mind about my Time Warner Cable setup. Thanks, RD

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: Digital adapter vs. Cable box question?

you two were on different channels

dta's only do starter and standard tier

Seasoned Contributor

Ms Raye, first, thank you for all the help you give on these forums. However, they are not on different channels. Let me try and narrow it down for you. I just got off the phone with TWC. The channel for the Thursday night football, is like 310 and the digital adapter boxes either don't go up that high or won't recognize that number when you punch it in.

See, what I am trying to figure out, is if, you are paying for standard, that is 70 channels, how come you can get them on your cable box but not on the digital adapter. I hope I am explaining this questioning properly. Anyway, am going to post another inquiry as soon as I reply here, thanks again, for listening and assisting, Rd

Expert

What network was Thursday night football on? it's dumped off my guide.... can only go back to 10:30 pm

And ch 310 on virtually ALL systems is part of the preferred tier, not starter or standard. The low 300's are the sports channels, sent via SDV you won't get them on a  DTA which can't request SDV since it's a receive only box that can only get full time channels.

It's why spectrum is getting rid of DTA's

Ok, I just verified the problem... I am correct,  Games are simulcast on several channels, free over the air broadcast TV(and starter cable)  and NFL network... But, Look at the schedule here: https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2016-'Thursday-Night-Football'-Broadcast-Schedule-Announced.aspx

Last nights game was blacked out on all but the "NFL NETWORK" Wasn't on local TV (NBC or CBS) bestI can tell

Complain to them It's not a TWC issue, the theives want your money...

Helper

Thursday Night Football switches mid-season from CBS to NFL Network. NFL Network is usually part of the top tier offering, but even if it's offered in your market on a standard tier the DTA will not tune into a channel that high. When I had a DTA I could only tune channels 2-99, nothing higher.

Seasoned Contributor

Yeah, so why have those digital adapters. Since, I have found out they aren't sending them out anymore, but offering cable boxes free for one year, then $5 a month after that, hope everyone knows about this, they should post this all over the TWC sites, all the reps know about it!

Helper

The DTAs were really only meant for people that had either a basic tier service, people that had several peripheral rooms (children, guest room, etc.) that they didn't really want or need to have the entire channel lineup, On Demand, or DVRs  available in those locations.