Rookie

Digital Adapters

If my TV already has a digital tuner in it, why do I need to get a special "digital adapter" to use my TV with the service? 

Is TWC doing something proprietary with the signal instead of following industry-standards?

11 REPLIES 11
Expert

Re: Digital Adapters

These are not adapters, they don't adapt anything, they are a tuner & qam descrambler.Robot Sad

Your TV while it might be able to decode Qam, can't decode encrypted qam. That's why you need a Digital Tuning Adapter. It's a cheap cable box with cablecard firmware and no transmit or upstream capability.

Nothing sold anymore is "cable ready"

Where are you?

Some areas are already 100% encrypted qam like NYC whereas here in Ohio, we still have NTSC analog cable channels, clear qam, encrypted and SDV qam coming in. The "upgrade" is a year + behind.

TV manufacturers refuse to install cablecard slots and instead have gone to internet service aps, DLNA- IPTV.

DTA's can'tt request anything and are stuck on starter-standard tiers (old basic cable)

You may get more channels and in true HD on an antenna than with starter cable! ATSC-DTV broadcasts are free as well Woman Wink

Spectrum Employee

TWC is setting up for getting everyone on QAM, and there's several good reasons for this.  But if you're asking if you need a DTA, CableCard, STB, or DVR to watch all of your TV channels, the answer is:
depends on where you are, but if not yet you will soon have to have a QAM-decrypting equipment from TWC of some kind for each TV you want to use.  It's not a question of if, it's a question of when & where; and it's been a looooong time coming, not a surprise.

Now just FYI, some of the reasons for the switch to pure digital TV?

• TV will be better able to piecemeal out specific sets of channels, instead of being stuck with large "package tiers" of channels that have to be added in a specific order. It still depends also on contractual agreements between TWC and the channel broadcasters, but at least now the system would be technically capable of being able to send you say... just the Discovery channel and ESPN and HBO and nothing else.  You'd probably have to pay more per channel, but overall you could save a lot of money on your bill.

• Digital supports better quality video.  HD currently, and maybe 4K many years down the road (not anytime soon)

• TWC doesn't have to waste a ton of money and also have customer frustration around what are called "traps".  These traps essentially filter out certain frequencies, and if they are not removed with say... an install... then you won't get stardard & prefered channels (only getting starter) or won't get internet (there's a trap for HSD frequencies, an trap for all TV freqencies).  Less traps, less truck rolls and less chances for things to mess up

• Along with the traps mentioned above, an all digital system will allow TWC to control access on server-side leading to quick and remote control over which of those encrypted channels you are supposed to have access to.  Maybe even get to a point where a customer can say... add a sport channel temporarily just to watch their favorite team play?  The possibilites would be there (again though depends on TWC's contracts with the broadcasters)
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Expert

If you want real HD, put an antenna on your set. HD on cable is horribly compressed and live sports is the best example.

As for 4k, TWC and all other cable companies do not have bandwidth and never will on encrypted qam.

Your only hope is for internet based 4k via twc and that will be to an IPTV modem setup or a smart tv.

Observer

Previously I had used several of these Cisco DTA's in my area (Hudson Valley NY) and they never worked right;  they regularly had to be reset, and finally I had to place a service call where the technician was puzzled as to why they did not work or would not reset, and he had to call the home office. Mainly these were needed for older TV's without built in digital tuners.

I wound up returning them, as they were initially free and then we were charged a monthly "rental fee". 

Digital cable ready TV's are already receiving the digital signals, a little over a year ago.  For TWC to change so I am required to have these adapters which do not work is beyond insane. 

I hope you realize this will drive us all off of TWC cable, and to other solutions, such as satellite or streaming. 

TWC are fools for going this route....really what TWC needs is a little more competition in this area, from FIOS or Optimum....this is a joke.

Rookie

Well it won't be FIOS. If you haven't got FIOS in your area now, you never will. 

Rookie

If you don't want to pay a rental fee for one of these worthless boxes (no hd, btw), the best alternative is to get a streaming box such as Roku and watch tv via the TWC app. You'll get all your subscribed channels and in HD if available.

Expert

Early DTA's were nonly 480, the 271's ae 1080 hd but the major issue is that qam cable HD is not true HD.

Put an antenna on your set, do a scan and compare live sports between cable and broadcast.

Rookie

In a year or two how do I return the digital adapter if I no longer need it?

Rookie

I have a Magnavox DVR. What am I supposed to do with that? How do I continue to record 10 shows/week on different channels automatically without paying tons more $$$ ( right now the DVR does it all for free).

I have a Slingbox, how do I use that with the digital switchover?