ant
Established Sharer

Dang DVR!

Argh! I was watching The Flash's recording about half-way and then Motorola/Arris DCX3510M DVR decided to freeze again (last one like many months ago). It couldn't tune to any channels and play other recordings. Turning off and on the DVR didn't help. I had to manually power cycle and everything worked again. I thought manually power cycling once a week (usually Fridays) would prevent this, but nope. Smiley Sad

I wonder if I should swap this DVR to another model that is better? Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: Dang DVR!

If incoming signals cause data corruption, the dvr's act up. All of them, a swap won't help unless the boxes HD is failing. You have had past signal issues, were they ever corrected? Are your cable modem correcteds/ uncorrecteds going up more than usual? If so, somethings getting worst and yes, the DVR's will suffer as there's no error correction like there is on modems.

TWC does have the availability of sending recordings to the dvr's via the internal docsis 3 cable modems but aren't doing that as far as we know other than in some 6 tuner dvr areas.

Established Sharer

I FEEL your pain!

Was in the middle of watching something, and my DVR rebooted.

Once it was back (5 minutes or so), a LARGE box came up and showed ANOTHER DL, for the cablecard firmware.  Totally blocked the view.  And when the DL was done, ANOTHER reboot!

THEN the DVR lost my place and I had to FF thru 45 minutes to get where I was.  And then AGAIN the 2nd time!!  Also, DVR is VERY slow to respond for a while after the reboots, and they've changed a few of the menus as well.  Getting a strange "resume' and something else popup box when I SAY 'resume', like I'm NOT SURE when I said to do that?????

WHY they can't do this crap when the DVR is NOT in use is beyond my understanding!

Won't be too much longer til I drop ALL TV, and get what I want to watch from The Net!!

Established Sharer

Well, I've now had a 3rd download of something, and another reboot.

So now I'm more than 30 minutes late going to bed, and STILL haven't finished watching what I'd expected to.

Smiley Sad

Expert

you just got hit with twc's 2am wed fw reload.  It's a PITA that everyone gets at least once a month including both DVR's and cable boxes other than DTA's

Valued Participant

twc.com/newguide for more information.

Press SETTINGS button. The Quick Settings screen will appear.
Arrow left/right to DISPLAY.
Arrow up/down to Recently Viewed.
Press SELECT button.
Toggle Recently Viewed on/off using SELECT button.
Press EXIT button to leave settings.

This will get rid of recently viewed if you prefer the old way. 

Established Sharer

@MsRaye wrote:

you just got hit with twc's 2am wed fw reload.  It's a PITA that everyone gets at least once a month including both DVR's and cable boxes other than DTA's

========

I've had DVRs for quite a few years, and NEVER seen anything like this before.  And I'm almost ALWAYS up at 2am.  Every time, this time, I was seeing what loked like admin messages during the DL, installation, AND even after the reboot.