Not applicable

DVR transfer from TWC to Spectrum

I am presently a TWC subscriber.  If I change to Spectrum I will get faster internet speed and believe it or not a lower monthly bill.  However, if I make the switch I will have to get a new DVR box.  This means that I will loose all of my DVR recordings.  Is there a way to make the transfer without loosing all of my DVR recordings?

Thanks,

Ed

12 REPLIES 12
Proven Sharer

Re: DVR transfer from TWC to Spectrum

@eewoz wrote:

I am presently a TWC subscriber.  If I change to Spectrum I will get faster internet speed and believe it or not a lower monthly bill.  However, if I make the switch I will have to get a new DVR box.  This means that I will loose all of my DVR recordings.  Is there a way to make the transfer without loosing all of my DVR recordings?

Thanks,

Ed

No.

The hard drive storing the shows will move with the box.

A DVR is not designed to be a video library.  If you want to save your shows, you will need to run them out to video tape or DVD in real time.  They will be at Standard Definition.

Helper

Why do you need a new DVR box?

Not applicable

Spectrum says that I cannot keep my old DVR.  If I make the switch to Spectrum I have to get a new DVR.

Trusted Helper

@MsRaye wrote:

Do not switch, do not believe any of what you have been told on the phone you have been lied to, you will lose channels, lose a 6 tuner DVR/ WH dvr, and you'll lose programs.The hidden charges will actuially raise your bill. The people on the phone will tell you outright lies to get their comission if you switch.  There are lawsuits filed and numerous BBB complaints.

The only real deal is the supposed faster internet if you're an internet only subscriber. But, that will only help if you have 4 or more devices streaming video at the same time.

Or the 3x 29.95 bundle for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY, LOL...Woman Sad

Read the posts throughout the forum on what customers have experienced. They won't let you switch back either although someonesaid that the terms of their buyout allowed non satisfied customers to switch back.

And yes, a dvr is only for delayed viewing, not program archives.

Spectrum is switching to a cloud based dvr with no storage in the box, it's just a video receiving terminal.

No more WHdvr's with any change to spectrum either and of course, at the mercy of their crappy IP speeds during prime time and probable excess storage size fees.

"Worldview" was announced several years ago.

My understanding is the following:

World Box is out in some markets. The DVR Model is currently four-tuners.  Some divisions will let you keep your DVR, but you will lose Whole House functionality no matter what if you switch to Spectrum billing.  Two tuners only on the other DVR's.  Will be looking out for the Cloud DVR Service.  (This is supposed to come out in 2018.)

Satch

Helper

So everything just said is true...but if you don't care about whole house DVR, don't care about any lost channels that you don't watch anyway, will gain channels that you do watch, and have faster internet for the same or less money, there is really no reason not to switch to a Spectrum plan. 

As far as the box goes, there is absolutely no reason that I can think of that would force you to have to get a new box.  Are the phone reps telling you that you need a new box? I would suggest going to a local office and speaking to them personally. In my experience they are infinitely more knowledgable and know your local area better than the call center.

Established Sharer

@eewoz wrote:

Thanks,

Ed

===========

If you switch to Spectrum, you will LOSE your DVR, get FEWER channels, and HIGHER cost.

Really, it IS something that is discussed here often, by many angry people.

Helper

If you switch to Spectrum, you will LOSE your DVR, get FEWER channels, and HIGHER cost.

Really, it IS something that is discussed here often, by many angry people.

I hate to keep saying this but WHY is he going to lose his DVR??? Yes, whole house DVR functionality is lost with Spectrum but if you don't have it now or don't care it's a non-issue. You may lose a few channels and will gain a few others but if you don't lose channels that you watch and you gain some that you do, great! Some people will be charged more, some less...OP says his is less and so was mine...my bill is less now than on a legacy plan, I have faster internet speeds, and I picked up a couple of channels that I watch regularly that I didn't have before. The channels I lost weren't anything I watch anyways.

If the loss of WHDVR or a particular channel is a deal breaker for you, by all means stay on the legacy plan.

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@eewoz wrote:

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

For our reference here, in what Spectrum division are you located?  Do you have WHDVR at this time?  You would lose WHDVR as others have said, but should not have to give up your current DVR.  What is your zipcode?  What is the make and model of your DVR?

Satch

Proven Sharer

@reds91185 wrote:

I hate to keep saying this but WHY is he going to lose his DVR??? Yes, whole house DVR functionality is lost with Spectrum but if you don't have it now or don't care it's a non-issue. You may lose a few channels and will gain a few others but if you don't lose channels that you watch and you gain some that you do, great! Some people will be charged more, some less...OP says his is less and so was mine...my bill is less now than on a legacy plan, I have faster internet speeds, and I picked up a couple of channels that I watch regularly that I didn't have before. The channels I lost weren't anything I watch anyways.

If the loss of WHDVR or a particular channel is a deal breaker for you, by all means stay on the legacy plan.

I beleive the issue is not that he will be losing DVR capability, but the issue that he will need to make a box exchange, and thus lose the shows currently on his DVR.

We can question the "Why does the box need to change?" and I can only surmise that there is some firmware / hardware issues that will require a change with a switch from TWC to Spectrum...