Participant

DVR has been booting for last two hours

My DVR has been booting for the last three hours. Before this, in the past day, it rebooted successfully three or four times.  before yesterday, it hardly rebooted at all. 

Mt DVR is an Aaris DCX3600-M with six active tuners.  (I was a NYC Time Warner customer.)

I am loathe to give it up.

Is it possible to get it repaired? Would Spectrum give me another one with the same capabilities or am I dreaming?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Trusted Helper

Re: DVR has been booting for last two hours

@ellentk1 wrote:

My DVR has been booting for the last three hours. Before this, in the past day, it rebooted successfully three or four times.  before yesterday, it hardly rebooted at all. 

Mt DVR is an Aaris DCX3600-M with six active tuners.  (I was a NYC Time Warner customer.)

I am loathe to give it up.

Is it possible to get it repaired? Would Spectrum give me another one with the same capabilities or am I dreaming?

Thanks.

Oh no!

That is a great box as well!  Could this be an update gone bad?  I hope it's not the six-tuner box going bad.  Those things are great and are rare to replace.  Is it stuck where it's not completing the boot cycle, or is it booting up and than rebooting say every several hours?

If you get a truck roll, you will either get a World Box with four tuners, no clock, and maybe Spectrum Guide, which still has bugs, OR if you get a box with a clock, a two-tuner box. but you probably know that.  (You don't know what the tech is going to bring.)  I feel your pain maybe giving up that Arris six-tuner model!

I would go out to your local Spectrum store and see if they have any six-tuner DVR's and get one that way.  Sadly, they are becoming very, very rare.  The rep at the store may say that only two tuners are active on say another six-tuner box, such as the Arris-3600 M or the Cisco 9865.  However, my experience is that once the customer brings those models home, and the still run ODN-Navigator guide, the Device Setting shows that they have six tuners.  Let us know what happens here.

Satch

Observer

don't cisco have a 6 tuner also that the OP could ask for if they don't have the arris model???

Observer

when i had my six tuner get stuck in a boot loop and power on and off untill it croaked. i went into the spectrum store and asked em if they had another one as they wanted to give me a dual tuner wich in todays world is not acceptible with channel lineup's getting bigger and only a 500 GB HDD!!! that what i got in the orginal install to was a dual tuner and that was a shock!!! i got my 6 tuner when i threatened to cancel!!! why there disposing of the 6 tuner units i don't know they should be disposing of the dual tuner units!!! i have always asked to if they have another 6 tuner when i go in and last time i was in my store i got the last one!!! it's a great box i call it old faithfull because it barely ever has any issues it just works!!! though i do hate the guide on it but that's just my opinion!!! i have been told over and over by the techs to keep the box as long as you can!!! i also heard that people fought over these boxes to LMAO

Observer

i heard they just sent an update to it for whatever reason i don't kow. but a tech did say the update was making em slower. i guess only certain ones got the update and not the ones with the OD software i guess it's called

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.  This issue was successfully resolved.   Here's what happened.

I went to my local Spectrum office without my dvr to see if they had one with six tuners.  I figured if they did, I would bring mine over to swap and if they didn't, I wouldn't be lugging it back and forth on the subway for nothing.

They had a six tuner dvr and told me to bring back the other one after I set up the replacement.  But the replacement would not boot either.  After trying various things with a Spectrum phone rep, we set up an appointment for a tech visit.

When the tech arrived I asked him to test my old dvr first, as I wanted to keep it to watch all the shows it had recorded.  Very quickly he  discovered that the power cord was faulty.  He swapped it and the box booted and came back to life.

But about an hour after he left, the sound went off. 

I performed additional troubleshooting tips on the phone that didn't work and the tech came  back.

This time he discovered that when I set it up again I didn't push the audio composite cable in far enough.  Once he did, the dvr played sound and has been working perfectly ever since.

During the time the dvr wasn't working, I got to know the Spectrum app, and didn't miss too many shows. 

I consider myself very lucky that the problems were so minor and my six tuner dvr seems to be in good shape.

Thanks again for your replies.

Ellen