Newcomer

DVR doesnt allow recording by date and time only by the Guide

Yesterday I was told by customer support that the DVR no longer had a way to record by date and time and you have to use the guide.  I wanted to record the Kentucky Derby but I didnt want to record 4 or 5 hrs of pre-race just the last 30-40 minutes plus some overrun.  I would have settled for the last hour even plus 15 minutes for overrun.   This is also handy if you want to record the last 10 minutes of the news just to get the sports.   My only option was to record the whole **bleep** thing.   I didnt want to take up that much space or spend the time to fast forward thru 4 hrs of content.   This feature is also handy if you know the TV guide is wrong and you want to manually setup a recording.   Like last year the TV guide had the rose parade listing on HGTV incorrect on the west coast (had it at the east coast time) and if I had actually recorded it by the guide I would have missed the whole thing.   Quite often sports games times or channels will change and sometimes they will update the listing right before so if you record several programs where you know the game will be then they update the guide and the recording will disappear because the show you set to record is no longer there.   This is really handy for when Golf or NASCAR gets pushed to the next day due to weather. Bring back the date/time/channel option - you use to have it on the older DVR's.  I know I used this feature when I had UVerse.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: DVR doesnt allow recording by date and time only by the Guide

Thank you for the feedback, we will make sure it passed along.  

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

James M.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Trusted Helper

@chevycde wrote:

Yesterday I was told by customer support that the DVR no longer had a way to record by date and time and you have to use the guide.  I wanted to record the Kentucky Derby but I didnt want to record 4 or 5 hrs of pre-race just the last 30-40 minutes plus some overrun.  I would have settled for the last hour even plus 15 minutes for overrun.   This is also handy if you want to record the last 10 minutes of the news just to get the sports.   My only option was to record the whole **bleep** thing.   I didnt want to take up that much space or spend the time to fast forward thru 4 hrs of content.   This feature is also handy if you know the TV guide is wrong and you want to manually setup a recording.   Like last year the TV guide had the rose parade listing on HGTV incorrect on the west coast (had it at the east coast time) and if I had actually recorded it by the guide I would have missed the whole thing.   Quite often sports games times or channels will change and sometimes they will update the listing right before so if you record several programs where you know the game will be then they update the guide and the recording will disappear because the show you set to record is no longer there.   This is really handy for when Golf or NASCAR gets pushed to the next day due to weather. Bring back the date/time/channel option - you use to have it on the older DVR's.  I know I used this feature when I had UVerse.

Perfect example of why Manual Recording, (Which we used to have with the Passport software) is needed back again.

Satch

Browser

I keep having the same problem with NASCAR races. The Oct. 8, 2016 Charlotte NASCAR Chase race was postponed from Saturday to Sunday on NBC but that change was not made to the DVR guide as of midnight Saturday. I know from past experience that if I progran the DVR to record all the shows in that new time slot, and then the DVR guide gets updated just before race time, my race will not get recorded because the shows that I had programmed were cancelled. I will not be home to start the recording at race time, so I will miss it.
Browser

James, how can customers notify Time Warner Cable/Spectrum so that they can update NASCAR program listings on weekends?
Lead Moderator

@JRW Because the guide is supplied to us through a provider, we are not 

able to manually update for these type of changes.

The DVR would normally record in a specific time slot even if the show 

scheduled is cancelled/preempted.

When you have put in a record preference to that channel/that time

the DVR fails to record all together or provides you with a conflict message?

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator-Community Forums

Not applicable

I am a new customer and very much miss the manual recording which was available on DirecTV.  As the other poster mentioned, frequently sports events have their time changed due to weather but the changes never make the guide.  Other times they do but unless you are there when it happens, you have no way of putting the program in.  While the need for this is not common, when it is needed, it really is needed.

Browser

Very well said. That is exactly my point of view, too.