Rookie

DVR Resume Feature erratic

When watching recorded shows through my DVR and then switching to watch something else, if I return to continue watching the original recording my DVR rarely returns to the same place on "Resume" watching. Often it will only offer "Watch" (that is, back at the beginning, as if I had never started watching it), sometimes much further forward. I would say, almost regularly, it is as if I had not started watching the original recorded program at all (that is, all the way back to the beginning).

Thinking perhaps that it was my particular DVR unit, I had a service call and my unit was swapped.

Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: DVR Resume Feature erratic

@phillip56 wrote:

When watching recorded shows through my DVR and then switching to watch something else, if I return to continue watching the original recording my DVR rarely returns to the same place on "Resume" watching. Often it will only offer "Watch" (that is, back at the beginning, as if I had never started watching it), sometimes much further forward. I would say, almost regularly, it is as if I had not started watching the original recorded program at all (that is, all the way back to the beginning).

Thinking perhaps that it was my particular DVR unit, I had a service call and my unit was swapped.

Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem.

Hello,

What is the make and model of your cable box?  What Guide do you have?  Tip- Most often, if your box does not have a clock it's the World Box and runs the new Spectrum Guide.  If your box has a clock, it runs the ODN Navigator Guide.

Since you swapped out the unit with the same results on the next unit, we know that a reboot won't do anything here.  Was your swapped unit a different model, or a different guide if you can remember.

Generally, we don't recommend swapping out the boxes unless you are having a really bad experience.  You could be exchanging a box with little to no problems for a box with a new set of problems. 

When is the last time your signals or drop line were checked?  You can contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Just make sure that you avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call.  Equipment resets will set any signal error codes back to zero and you don't want that.  A swapped box will never solve bad signals or line problems. 

If it was me, I would probably just rewind back to the area skipped over or fast-forward to the area if pause/resume is not holding it's position.  If you get a service tech, make sure you tell him that you swapped the box with no results and that you really don't want another box.

I wonder if this is World Box, and if so, some design flaw with Spectrum Guide.  In that case, you could try a box with a clock on it that has the older, (and more reliable) ODN Navigator Guide.  Be aware that most of the clock boxes are only two-tuners at this time.  The best boxes are the ones that run the ODN Guide Navigator software.  They have six tuners, and are clock models (These are the Cisco 9865 and the Arris 3600-M)

The issue is that most techs don't carry the six-tuner DVR's on their trucks anymore, so you would have to go to a Spectrum Store, to see if they still had a Cisco 9865 or an Arris 3600-M in stock.  I recommend these boxes to everyone, but they are rare.  All of the World Boxes now run Spectrum Guide in most markets, which have four-tuners and 1TB of storage,  But the new Spectrum Guide has some reliability issues.

Satch

Rookie

Satch,

Thanks for  your reply.

No clock on display. The label on back says: Spectrum210-H. And, I'm fairly certain it has 4-tuners. (that is, the max number of simultaneous recording/viewing). A 2-tuner unit would not be acceptable for my use.

If the unit I have is now somewhat of the standard (based on it being the one that tech's carry in their truck), I'm really surprised more people have not remarked/complained about this issue. It's quite annoying.

I will visit the local (Kingston, NY) Spectrum store and see about the Cisco 9865 or Arris 3600-M. Any preference between those two?

Thanks again,

Phillip

Trusted Helper

@phillip56 wrote:

Satch,

Thanks for  your reply.

No clock on display. The label on back says: Spectrum210-H. And, I'm fairly certain it has 4-tuners. (that is, the max number of simultaneous recording/viewing). A 2-tuner unit would not be acceptable for my use.

If the unit I have is now somewhat of the standard (based on it being the one that tech's carry in their truck), I'm really surprised more people have not remarked/complained about this issue. It's quite annoying.

I will visit the local (Kingston, NY) Spectrum store and see about the Cisco 9865 or Arris 3600-M. Any preference between those two?

Thanks again,

Phillip

Either the Cisco 9865 or the Arris 3600M are both great boxes! (Six tuners)

Satch