Newcomer

Connect DVD player

I have a TV with one each HDMI and coax input.  My digital cable box has HDMI out as well as composite and S-video connections.  My "vanilla" DVD player has composite and coax outputs.  Is it possible to connect it to the cable box and expect output to the TV or should I bypass the box with an RF modulator to the TV and turn off the cable to watch a DVD?

6 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Connect DVD player

I am surprised that your TV doesn't have any composite / component connections.  If it only has one HDMI input and one RF Input, you will have to either:

1.  Get up and switch the cables every time you want to watch a movie, or

2.  Buy a HDMI switcher  (something like this: 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fosmon-3-Port-HDMI-Switch-3x1-Auto-Switcher-Support-Full-HD-3D-1080P-for-...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D54G1QF/

I have never seen a DVD Player with RF out over COAX.  Is it a combo DVD/VCR?

Newcomer

I was wrong-DVD only has composite, no coax.  TV connects to cable box by HDMI leaving the RF input free  which is why I was thinking if composite-out to cable box wouldn't work I could use an RF moduator from DVD player to TV.  No, it is not a combo unit.

Proven Sharer

@DG16 wrote:

I was wrong-DVD only has composite, no coax.  TV connects to cable box by HDMI leaving the RF input free  which is why I was thinking if composite-out to cable box wouldn't work I could use an RF moduator from DVD player to TV.  No, it is not a combo unit.

Well, you could buy one of those old RF modulators that were used for gaming systems that had to be connected to old TV sets that had no component (A/V; red, white, and yellow RCA) connections.  However:

1.  You'll need to use your TV's internal tuner to watch a DVD.  It will be 4:3 480i, just like old analog TV.  You'll have to fire it up and probably do a channel scan, and tune to RF channel 2,3, or 4.

2.  Most of those modulators didn't provide MTS, so sound would be mono.

Your DVD's will look like old sitcoms.

Buy an extra HDMI cable and the switcher.

Newcomer

I appreciate your time to try to offer help with my question.  I am just sorry I am not better at explaining the situation.    I have two other (larger) TV's which do have several different inputs and would not have a problem with the cheap DVD player but this small (22") TV has only HDMI and RF inputs.  The DVD player has only component outputs.  If I understand correctly, the HDMI switcher accepts  multiple HDMI connections only so I can't see how that would help me here unless there is such a thing as a component-to-HDMI adapter.

Helper

Composite (red, white, yellow) or component (red, blue, green)? I think you have composite connections which means you would need this (or something like it) composite to HDMI adapter, then HDMI to the above mentioned HDMI switch to the tv.

Composite to HDMI

Highlighted
Newcomer

Thank you!!!   Exactly what I needed to know.