Newcomer

Cisco DTA 170HD low volume.

Ordered the lowest level of TV service offered by TW. Gave me the DTA with no instructions on how to use it. Use an audio receiver for all my audio-video equipment with a 5 speaker setup. I had to turn the volume up on my system to its maximum to hear the TV broadcast. If I switched to another source without turning down the volume, I risked damaging my speakers because of the volume differential. After several months I determined to figure this out without calling the clunky and time consuming not-customer-friendly telephone support system of Time Warner. Searching on the internet, I found several solutions for other cable systems with similar problems. The online Cisco manual for the DTA 170HD was for the remote specific to the DTA and not the one supplied by TW.  However, there is a DTA button on the lower left. When I used that button and then the volume controls on the remote,  I could access the internal volume control for the DTA. The internal volume  control was set almost to mute, which I maxed out and voila, normal volume controlled by the amplifier.  I felt silly for not trying this earlier, but TW should have given me instructions or had something online. 

2 REPLIES 2
Expert

Re: Cisco DTA 170HD low volume.

You need to go into the DTA menu and set the volume to fixed. It's now at variable and the remote is programmed to only lower the tv volume.

You may also be able to get the remote's volume control to switch to the DTA rather than the tv, or program your tv remote to control a Scientific Atlanta cable box and should hit the DTA' provided it's IR detector is not off(they use rf)

Expert

Re: Cisco DTA 170HD low volume.

next possibility, go into the TV and TURN OFF ""ARC"" on the port the DTA is plugged into.

It too could be lowering the volume via the bidirectional data on the HDMI cable