Observer

Cisco 9865HDC

Does this box have a way of manually re-booting without unplugging? Other Cisco box would re-boot by holding the power button in until display went blank. Tried it with this box and after a minute I took my finger away and it reset after a few seconds.. Is there a protocol for manually re-booting the box?

8 REPLIES 8
Expert

Re: Cisco 9865HDC

You should not have to repeatedly reboot the box.. Sounds like bad connections /intermittent signal levels.

Make sure there's no extra /loose splitter ports and all connections in the house are a tad more than finger tight.

Observer

I'm not repeatedly re-booting. Often the upgrades that should be loaded are not or an on demand will just spin and not load. Manual re-boot takes care of it. I just don't waqnt to unplug the unit and I know there is a work around.

Expert

You have signal quality issues if upgrades are failing.

If the dvr/box lockups cause the remote to be unresponsive, only solution is to pull the plug.

Observer

No lockups and the remote is not an issue. 2 examples in the last few days.
1- Channel 14 is default when powering on. Sometime it is blank. Reboot and problem goes away.
2- Next in a series of on demand programs won't load. re-boot and it loads.
Expert

Both could be intermittent line issues. 1 a month or longer might be acceptable, My box here locked up maybe twice in the past year and both times were from power brownouts.

If the box is not locking up, you could try holding in the select button for 10 seconds and then the up arrow. There should be a reset item in the menu. Bu t it may take 15 minutes to reload.

Look at the signal level and error log pages in your modem. Paste them here, let's see if it sees some line issues.

You may have a bad/ overheating box, bad ac power, failing hard drive or bad connections.

Observer

Thank you for all your input and time. All I'm really looking for is an alternative to unplugging the box to re-boot. A ladder is needed and at my age, I would rather not. The vast array of TWC DVRs I've used have all had a "work around" to not unplugging the unit. All had to do with holding in the power button for a length of time and maybe combining another button. This box has only one button, power, on the front display. Twice I have held the button in for more than 45secs. , released it, then pushed it again and the unit has gone blank and re-booted. So I know it can be done. All I want is an instruction of how to do this that isn't so random. Service people who have come out over the years have all known of ways to reboot without unplugging. That's all I'm looking for.

Expert

did you try the sequence I suggested? It works on some boxes... unknown if yours has a reset on it, you need to look and see.  Hold in the select for 10 seconds then the up arrow.

check the menu.

Still think you have a signal issue and data is getting corrupted... resetting power is an excuse for not cleaning up the connections...

Observer

Your information is just what I was looking for. Thank you............