Newcomer

Cannot record from remote cable boxes

I had 5 x Motorola DCX3200M  and 1 x Arris DCX3600.  I had moved from a Uverse area into a TWC area.  I assumed that I would have multi-room DVR as I did with Uverse.  However, I cannot record from the DCX3200Ms...only view recordings.  I thought I could fix it by getting more DCX3600s so I swapped one of the 3200s for a 3600 to try out.  However, it would sometimes crash but when I it did work, I could not see recordings on the other 3600 which meant I would have to maintain the same list of recordings on both devices.  This has been one cumbersome mess.  AT&Ts interface was a lot more intuitive and had more features so I'm struggling with TWC but the recoding feature has probably been the biggest issue for me.  Is there something wrong with my setup (the TWC installers had said they'd be back to finish the install when they first set it up then never showed up again) or is this how it is supposed to work???!?!?

5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Cannot record from remote cable boxes

@emad1b wrote:

I had 5 x  and 1 x Arris DCX3600.  I had moved from a Uverse area into a TWC area.  I assumed that I would have multi-room DVR as I did with Uverse.  However, I cannot record from the DCX3200Ms...only view recordings.  I thought I could fix it by getting more DCX3600s so I swapped one of the 3200s for a 3600 to try out.  However, it would sometimes crash but when I it did work, I could not see recordings on the other 3600 which meant I would have to maintain the same list of recordings on both devices.  This has been one cumbersome mess.  AT&Ts interface was a lot more intuitive and had more features so I'm struggling with TWC but the recoding feature has probably been the biggest issue for me.  Is there something wrong with my setup (the TWC installers had said they'd be back to finish the install when they first set it up then never showed up again) or is this how it is supposed to work???!?!?

Hello,

If you are a legacy TWC subscriber, you can keep Whole House DVR if you have it.  However, the playback client boxes are not recordable, so it's really not a WHDVR experience.  If you switch to a Spectrum plan, you can keep WHDVR, but the same applies with the playback boxes, they are playback only.

If you switch to a Spectrum plan you can never go back to TWC billing, but my understanding is that the cost per box or rental of the box is a little bit cheaper than TWC .  If I were you and read that right, you said that you have 5 non DVR boxes?

Call Spectrum and ask for their sales department and see if you can speak with a rep about trading in those five non-DVR boxes for let's say 2 or 3 DVR boxes.  Additionally, if you have never had a signal and drop line test done, I would schedule that if your DVR that you currently have keeps crashing.  When you request the signal and drop line test, don't reboot any equipment for six hours.  The tech needs to see the error codes and a reset of the equipment resets the error codes.  New boxes won't solve signal problems, so I would get that set up first.  There is a chance that a Whole House DVR update could happen, but it is not in Spectrum's plans at this time

The reason is because they had a lot of problems with service calls on WHDVR and see the future of TV as an in-the-cloud streaming service, where everything on the box comes of of their network servers in the cloud.  This means that if you have to switch boxes, you won't lose your shows, settings, and series anymore when the new boxes are activated, (assuming that you have DVR service.)  That cloud-functionality is a higher priority for Spectrum than WHDVR or Multi-Room DVR.

Post back!  I will be interested to see if you can get a better DVR deal with several play back only box swaps.  My thoughts are that if you had say three DVR boxes, each box would do exactly what you want it to do, record your shows.  It may not be a true WHDVR situation, but it's better than having five playback only boxes, where you can't record anything at all on them.  I would trade those in for about two DVR's  You can drop all the playback only boxes, and save some money doing that.

Satch

Highlighted
Helper

Are you a new customer? When did you activate service with TWC/Spectrum? Spectrum no longer supports WHDVR for new customers, only existing customers that already have it.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

Are you a new customer? When did you activate service with TWC/Spectrum? Spectrum no longer supports WHDVR for new customers, only existing customers that already have it.

Thank you Reds,

I mentioned some information above that might be confusing.  You have clarified this:

Spectrum Policies For Whole House (Multi Room) DVR's

• If you are on legacy TWC billing- And you have Whole House DVR, you can keep it as long as you stay on TWC legacy billing.
  • If you move to a Spectrum Plan- AND ALREADY HAVE WHDVR FROM YOUR LEGACY TWC ACCOUNT, you can keep it as well.
  • If you are already on a Spectrum Plan AND DON'T HAVE WHDVR, you cannot get it.
  • If you switch from a TWC billing plan to a Spectrum billing plan, you can never go back to a TWC billing plan.
  • If you are a new customer- You may only take a Spectrum billing plan.  WHDVR is not available for new customers.
  • WHDVR is only for existing legacy TWC customers have it already from a TWC plan, 
  • No new installs of WHDVR if you don't already have it, and it is not offered for new customers.

Satch

Observer

spectrum will give out the 6 tuner DVR just not the client boxes. i complained about there stone age dual tuner DVR. they tried selling me on the world box wich from what they told me made by cisco but another rep told me that it's made by touchstone who knows.but the tech did set me up with the 6 tuner box after i threaten to cancel!!! . and my acct is going on 4 months old. though i will say this one would be lucky to get the 6 tuner DVR!!!

Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

spectrum will give out the 6 tuner DVR just not the client boxes. i complained about there stone age dual tuner DVR. they tried selling me on the world box wich from what they told me made by cisco but another rep told me that it's made by touchstone who knows. the tech told me cs dont know there heads from there elbows!!! but the tech did set me up with the 6 tuner box after i threaten to cancel!!! as well as the tech told me the cisco boxes are crap with constant reboots. and my acct is going on 4 months old. though i will say this one would be lucky to get the 6 tuner DVR!!!

The newer Worldboxes are made by either Technicolor (formally Cisco) or Humax.

• 101-T and 201-T made by Technicolor
  • 101-H and 201-H made by Humax