Not applicable

Can I move my receiver to another room?

I am prepping my house for sale (downsizing) and moving furniture around through donations, storage, etc. I currently have one receiver in the den and one in the master bedroom. There are, however, wall outlets in other rooms.

Are those outlets hot? That is, can I unplug from the den and plug into the living room? That ability sure would help with staging the house prior to listing. Or would a cable tech need to come out and work behind the wall to make those other outlets usable?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Valued Participant

Re: Can I move my receiver to another room?

If they are live or not will depend on what has been done to the wiring in your house in the past.  The simplest thing to do would be to move the receiver, connect it up and see if it works. If it works, end of story. If there is no signal you could find where your cable enters your house from the street.  Usually near that point there will be a splitter.  You can see if there are any disconnected coax lines there and try connecting then up one by one and see what goes where.  A rather tedious process, but by doing this you can label everything and set things up how you want.  If you can’t find where this splitter is, or you have some weird  wiring setup you might have to call someone with more experience in to figure it out. 

Just to be clear the receiver can be placed anywhere there is a live coax, if that is what you are asking. Receivers are not tied to a certain coax location. 

Helper

Re: Can I move my receiver to another room?

There's one obvious way to find out...connect it to the outlet and see if it boots up.