Rookie

Cable box won’t stay on

My cable box power save mode is set to OFF but I have to turn it on every morning. Why?
9 REPLIES 9
Trusted Helper

Re: Cable box won’t stay on

@cacdrc wrote:
My cable box power save mode is set to OFF but I have to turn it on every morning. Why?

Hello,

We might need more information to be able to help here.  Typically on a professional tech install, the tech programs the ALL POWEER or SYSTEM button on your Remote Control to get the code for your TV to turn on and off using your Remote, as well as that code also programing the volume of your TV and Mute functions.  When ALL POWER or SYSTEM is pressed, and the remote is programed with the correct TV code, you will turn the TV/Box on/off using that button.  If you get a new TV, especially a new model of TV, you will have to reprogram your Remote Control

If the box is a self-install, the user will ONLY be able to turn the box on and off when either the ALL POWER or SYSTEM button is pressed, until the code for the TV on/off function is programmed.  How is your remote programmed?  To learn how to get the code for your TV, if you don't have the SYSTEM or ALL POWER button programed, please see here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote

There's nothing wrong with leaving the cable box on all the time, provided that you can turn the TV off at night, or when not watching it.  Now, if your cable box is BOOTING, and you have to wait for 5 minutes when turning on the TV before you can watch anything, the box is losing power overnight like it's been unplugged and we would have to get a tech out for that.  What scenario best describes your situation?

Satch

Rookie

I tried to locate the code for my TV using the link provided but was unsuccessful. A technician came to check it out but did not solve the issue. It still has to be turned on every morning even though POWER SAVE is turned off. If I push the SYSTEM button, it reboots the box every time. So frustrated - it wasn’t doing this until a week or so ago, and we haven’t made any changes on our end, same TV and remote.

Trusted Helper

@cacdrc wrote:

I tried to locate the code for my TV using the link provided but was unsuccessful. A technician came to check it out but did not solve the issue. It still has to be turned on every morning even though POWER SAVE is turned off. If I push the SYSTEM button, it reboots the box every time. So frustrated - it wasn’t doing this until a week or so ago, and we haven’t made any changes on our end, same TV and remote.

Thanks for the update,

I have never in my 30+ years of working with cable had the SYSTEM BUTTON (On the remote.)  reboot the box.  All that does is power off everything programed by the remote with one press.  Did the tech say or do anything consecutive at the visit?   I would do the following:

1.) Get another tech out to check

2.) Get another box

3.) Check the System button with the tech there.

4.) Post back

What model box is this?  Since you said, "It wasn't doing this until a week ago" I would swap the box.  But do a tech swap so that he could see what is going on?  Also, you are hooked up to an HD set with HDMI cable, correct?  Although the TV shouldn't make any difference, how old is the TV?  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Satch

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

@cacdrc wrote:

Thanks for the update,

I have never in my 30+ years of working with cable had the SYSTEM BUTTON (On the remote.)  reboot the box.  All that does is power off everything programed by the remote with one press.  Did the tech say or do anything consecutive at the visit?   I would do the following:

1.) Get another tech out to check

2.) Get another box

3.) Check the System button with the tech there.

4.) Post back

What model box is this?  Since you said, "It wasn't doing this until a week ago" I would swap the box.  But do a tech swap so that he could see what is going on?  Also, you are hooked up to an HD set with HDMI cable, correct?  Although the TV shouldn't make any difference, how old is the TV?  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Satch

Update:

1.) What is the make and model of this box?

2.) Is it running ODN-Navigator or the New Spectrum Guide?

Satch

Rookie

It’s a Cisco box, not sure of the model. I’m not sure what you mean by the 2nd question.

It is an HD set, Samsung, about 2 years old. We have another box in our bedroom on an older Samsung tv but it’s much smaller & doesn’t have a label on it. It seems to be working fine which makes me think it is the box that’s causing the problem.

I’m going to try to get them to come out this Friday when I’m off so I can be there to show them exactly what it’s doing. It did it again today so whatever it is wasn’t fixed last time they came out. I’ll post if/when it’s resolved.

Thank you for all your suggestions-much appreciated!!!
Trusted Helper

@cacdrc wrote:
It’s a Cisco box, not sure of the model. I’m not sure what you mean by the 2nd question.

It is an HD set, Samsung, about 2 years old. We have another box in our bedroom on an older Samsung tv but it’s much smaller & doesn’t have a label on it. It seems to be working fine which makes me think it is the box that’s causing the problem.

I’m going to try to get them to come out this Friday when I’m off so I can be there to show them exactly what it’s doing. It did it again today so whatever it is wasn’t fixed last time they came out. I’ll post if/when it’s resolved.

Thank you for all your suggestions-much appreciated!!!

Thanks1

Yea, there are two main guides with different software: 

ODN Navigator Guide

New Spectrum Guide

ODN Navigator is the guide from legacy TWC markets. You will often find that on boxes with a clock.

New Spectrum Guide is the guide on New World Boxes for the most part.  World Boxes don't have clocks and are  all cloud-based.

But I don't think you have a guide issue, you have a bad box issue.

Satch

Highlighted
Not applicable

I am having he same issue with the new Spectrum 110 boxes. Technician was out here today and replaced the box in the home theater room with another 110 box. He did the firmware update and check the box for the non power save mode. Four hours later the new box turned off as well as my other 2 boxes........  All this started happening after the update recently. All three of my boxes were working correctly before that.....?

Not applicable

I'm having the same issue with all three of my spectrum 110 boxes
The power saver timers are all set to off but every 4 hrs if there has been no interaction the box shuts everything off. I've reset reboot refreshed the things with no luck at all. Rather annoying when you use the TV for background and you have to stop what your doing to turn the **bleep** thing back on.
Not applicable

All three of mine as well, working fine and I guess like said there was a software update and now no matter what every 4 hrs  things turn off. You did save me the time trying to fix it by switching out the boxes. Looks like there's bad code work in the update.