Rookie

Cable box has to be reset every time I turn the tv on

On a vizio tv, when either using the  system on button or simply turning on the tv and cable box separately, the cable box has to be reset. Unless the tv comes to a full ready state before powering on the cable box, the tv will display “no signal “.  It seems like a easy fix if spectrum would send a software update to simply delay the startup of the cable box when it gets an on signal.  This is very annoying 

7 REPLIES 7
Trusted Helper

Re: Cable box has to be reset every time I turn the tv on

@Oceanisle wrote:

On a vizio tv, when either using the  system on button or simply turning on the tv and cable box separately, the cable box has to be reset. Unless the tv comes to a full ready state before powering on the cable box, the tv will display “no signal “.  It seems like a easy fix if spectrum would send a software update to simply delay the startup of the cable box when it gets an on signal.  This is very annoying 

Hey Oceanisle,

First thing that I would recommend would be to reprogram the SYSTEM button on your remote so that the TV is always turned on LAST.  If you have the TV and cable box turned on at the same time, or the TV turned on first, you will often get the handshaking issues described above.

To do this, the TV code should be the last button sequence that you enter for the SYSTEM button.  Here are the details to find your make and model of remote control, and program the remote:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/program-your-remote.html

Second step if the above does not work.  Purchase a good quality HDMI cable.  ($25+) and connect it to your TV with everything off.  See if that solves the issue.

Third step would be set up a service call.  But I think by doing step 1, you should be all set.

Satch

Expert

go into the T's menu and turn off CEC and ARC on the hdmi port you're connected to.

What series Vizio is it?D, E or M?

Rookie

Watch,

thx for the reply. If the cable box is on FIRSt , that is the problem. I am using the HDMI cable supplied by spectrum and I’ve had their tech out who says there is not a fix for this but I know there has to be some way to fix. How do I get into the T’s menu, or do you mean TV?

Rookie

Series d. Turned off CEC but no setting for ARC. I have 3 tv’s in the house with this same small spectrum box. The Sony works fine but the 2 vizio’s have this issue. One turns on the cable fox first, the other the tv first. Both you have to reboot the cable box after the tv is on to get the video feed.
Rookie

Also tv is series D
Trusted Helper

@Oceanisle wrote:

Watch,

thx for the reply. If the cable box is on FIRSt , that is the problem. I am using the HDMI cable supplied by spectrum and I’ve had their tech out who says there is not a fix for this but I know there has to be some way to fix. How do I get into the T’s menu, or do you mean TV?

Hi Oceanaisle,

Have you reprgrammed the System button so that the TV goes on last as I suggested? This should allow about a five second delay between the cable box going on followed by the TV.  Again, the TV should be turning on last in the sequence so that the cable box is ready to output the signal when the TV turns on.  Make sure you try that.

What is the make and model of the box with the issues?  What are the makes and models of the boxes without the issues?  If these are different, have you considered swapping out the problematic box for a different model?

Sometimes the cable guys will give you old crappy HDMI cables that are bad.  You might want to try a different model box.  But first reporgram your System button so that the TV goes on last.  If that doesn't work, purchase a new quality HDMI cable.   Post back when you have tried these things.  Let's try reprogramming your remote's System button so that the TV comes on last as the first thing.  Still have problems after that, look at purchasing a decent  HDMI cable at about $20.  Than, if that doesn't work, a different model box.  How old is that TV?  When did this issue start?

Satch

Expert

Is the D series set one with the ethernet connection with SMART tv functionality? Push the square "V" button, should bring up hulu/netflix, amazon...

It may need a firmware upgrade, problem is it needs to be on an ethernet connection for a few days as there's no way to force Vizio to send updates...

If CEC is really off, that startup error shouldn't happen.... I'd try a different hdmi port on the TV, see if there's a difference.. I assume this is a larger set with several inputs as well as a tuner.

There is no use in turning off the cable box as there is no ower savings. Leave it "on" and just turn off the tv