Newcomer

Cable Boxes in PA ... never had one before

I was on a CHAT and was cut off because Spectrum Internet went out.  HA!  I was asking about boxes for TVs.  I do not have any.

I have a cable card/box for my TIVO - the rest are just plugged in.

What will this impact me?  What are the costs for each box - monthly and will I have to buy them?  I literally have 5 televisions total 

2 REPLIES 2
Browser

Re: Cable Boxes in PA ... never had one before

monthly fees, they don't let you buy the boxes.. They have made billions off boxes that are worth $10
$6 if switched to a spectrum plan (was $5 until August 21st)
I believe $7 if legacy spectrum
$11.75 if on a grandfathered twc plan
don't know what brighthouse charged. Might have been $8

They sent my neighbor a 9 year old samsung set top box back in June.  Pretty sad.
if your area is just now going digital they will give you 1 box free.

you could get 4 rokus and watch on the spectrum app.  They will probably be slighly discounted around black friday.

When twc went digital in milwaukee last year they allowed us up to 4 digital adapters for free.  Spectrum doesn't use those now.  If still have a digital adapter those are up to $4 each when they were originally suppose to be like $2. We had them free the whole time so it would go up $16 on October 6th to keep them all. I'm returning 3 of them tomorrow or Wednesday

Helper

Re: Cable Boxes in PA ... never had one before

@cjmead wrote:
I have a cable card/box for my TIVO - the rest are just plugged in.

What will this impact me?  What are the costs for each box - monthly and will I have to buy them?  I literally have 5 televisions total 

The tv with the cablecard and TiVo...no impact.  The other 4 tvs you have in the house will need one of the following:

- Cablecard and TiVo (or other similar device)

- Leased box

- Device able to run the Spectrum TV app (if you also have internet from TWC/Spectrum). A Roku, Xbox One, or some Samsung smart tvs can run the app without needing a leased box or cablecard.  If you don't have internet through TWC/Spectrum this would not be an option.