Highlighted
Newcomer

CEC to control Cable Box from TV???

I have an LG webOS TV OLED55C7P. The TV is over the fireplace in a custom cabinet and the cable box (Cisco 8742HDC) is located in a different cabinet next to the fireplace. When the cables were run between these locations no IR remote extender was run. I was hoping to use HDMI-CEC on the TV to control the cable box. I understand from reading the forums that Spectrum has disabled HDMI-CEC on their cable boxes. I believe that, since I can't seem to operate the cable box from the TV.

Is anyone aware of a different DVR box from Spectrum that actually uses HDMI-CEC? 

Is there a third-party solution?

1 REPLY 1
Expert

Re: CEC to control Cable Box from TV???

You have  major mistakes, first of all the built in tv's over fireplaces are a service nightmare and it will burn up in several months. It's also at the improper height unless you're standing up, lol.That set requires 4" of ventillation on all sides

Next,whoever told you that CEC or ARC was a good idea to sell you on this setup lied. CEC/ARC and HDMI is a very incomplete interface and in many cases, even the on/off won't work reliably, this get's worst with import HDMI cables over 10' long

YOU CAN NEVER FULLY CONTROL EITHER DEVICE VIA A SINGLE REMOTE. IT REQUIRES 2 SEPERATE REMOTES or a harmony or URC solution.

That requires additional cabling, IR emitters, and wiring pulled thru inaccessable construction.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I'm tired of cleaning up after trunk slammers. Builders and electricians have no clue, please utilize an AV professsional, there's no free advice for a DIY solution and it's not in any way the cable co's fault.

You cannot enclose any tv's as they need  vertical convection ventillation.

There are wireless ir to rf and rf to ir  converters to extend IR into another room that might work, but you'll still need 2 remotes. Or a harmony type device.

Is there an ethernet cable pulled to each enclosure? if so, there are IR solutions that will interconnect by the 2 unused pairs in the ethernet cable  provided it's not full duplex 1000 base. The LG manual is a disaster, doesn't mention if the TV has bluetooth control availability.