Rookie

Bought new tv and now the cable box shuts off within 1/2 hour to an hour

Bought an inexpensive 32” tv for the bedroom to replace a smaller tv. Prior to switching TVs there were no issues but Now the cable box shuts off within an hour of being on and “no signal” appears on the tv. I then turn the tv off and try to turn the box and tv on again, it looks like the cable box comes on but the tv stills say “no signal”. I have to reboot the box to get the tv to work. I replaced the box with a new one and it is still happening. Switched the HDMI position from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1. No clue what else it could be. 

6 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Bought new tv and now the cable box shuts off within 1/2 hour to an hour

Can you try using a different HDMI cable? They're very sensitive and are the source of a lot of problems.

Rookie

It is worth a try. I did read that in another forum post. It was suggested to buy at least a $25 cable. I will see I can pick one up today.

Browser

I know you did not have the problem before switching the TV.  Might check settings menu to see if there is setting to change time out function.  Just a thought but may not apply in your case. 

Proven Sharer

It would be helpful to know the make and model for both the old and new TV sets, and the M & M of your cable box. 

The retail price of an HDMI cable is seldom a reliable indicator of its technical capability.  For this application it just needs to be compliant to the HDMI 2.1 specifications and long enough, not necessarily with a $25 price tag. 

Sharer

I got a six foot Monster branded cable for $7.98 on sale at Walmart during the holiday season. $25 for an HDMI cable is a bit overpriced these days.

Helper

@stannc wrote:

I got a six foot Monster branded cable for $7.98 on sale at Walmart during the holiday season. $25 for an HDMI cable is a bit overpriced these days.

Agree that price is not a reliable indicator of quality and/or specs. Lately I find the Amazon Basics branded cables to be great and way less costly than most retailers.