Rookie

Arris dcx3600-m kills Samsung ARC soundbar

I recently called TWC to have the new arris 6 channel DVR installed.  I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung soundbar... All with Anynet+

When the tech arrived the TV was on, sound was working fine.  He unplugged my old box installed the new box and all of a sudden no audio .... 

We went went around and around and I kept insisting that it had to be a TWC issue .  He said they don't support sound bars and it was my equipment .   I figured the ARC port on my TV had died or something.  

After an entire day of reconfiguring things and trying different connections I realize it's not my equipment. 

Now I read a bunch of other postings about the pin 13  HDMI-CEC not working  and disabling the ARC functionality  which Samsung calls Anynet+. 

I dont see how anyone was able to put tape over that tiny single conductor pin ! 

How do we get TWC to admit it's their issue and to fix this problem so that all my equipment will work properly again??? 

Everyone's Tags (3)
32 REPLIES 32
Expert

Re: Arris dcx3600-m kills Samsung ARC soundbar

@Jtmcbain wrote:

Now I read a bunch of other postings about the pin 13  HDMI-CEC not working  and disabling the ARC functionality  which Samsung calls Anynet+. 

I dont see how anyone was able to put tape over that tiny single conductor pin ! 

How do we get TWC to admit it's their issue and to fix this problem so that all my equipment will work properly again??? 

Some of us have the finesse of brain surgeons and work on electronics under stereo  magnifiersCat LOL

Fault is on Samsung for creating a non standard configuration and the cable box manufacturer for not reading their minds. Ass in the entire faulty concept of HDCP preventing piracy when in fact it was to allow copyright holders to block specific television manufacturers from viewing their programming as well as recording it for time shifting

Participant

It stops any ACR (anynet under different name) from working.  I had it run thru my Onkyo, killed the arc, tried thru my tv, killed the arc. Only solution that working is taping the pin.  

Rookie

There is another, less meticulous solution. I just had TWC installed 2 days ago and ran into the same problem - Sony TV and Sony sound bar.. the ARC function was completely disabled once the Arris box was installed. 

The simple solution is to buy two adaptors - male HDMI to female DVI, and male DVI to female HMDI. Connect the two adaptors together then plug the male HDMI portion of the adaptor into the Arris box. Then connect the HDMI lead from your TV into the female HDMI adaptor. Restart your TV, soundbar, and cable box and the problem should be resolved. 

The adaptors do not pass through pin 13 from the cable box so it no longer disables ARC functionality. The adaptors did cost me $13 each, but it was better than trying to modify an HDMI cable. 

Everyone's Tags (4)
Expert

Good fix!

Bit of warning on the DVI adapters, there is no standard, there are also at least 5 configurations of DVI

DVI-D, DVI-A, DVI-I and the dual link ones.

Look up dvi photo's and determine which ones you actually have, please report back

Rookie

Good point, although I'm not sure if any of the DVI-to-HDMI adapters pass through pin 13 of the HDMI cable. But just to be sure, here are the adapters that I used. I did a cursory search and couldn't determine which configuration they are. 

HDMI male to DVI Female - http://www.frys.com/product/4529277#detailed

Micro Connectors GO8-250

DVI male to HDMI female - http://www.frys.com/product/4529287?site=srSmiley FrustratedEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Micro Connectors GO8-251

Hope it works for everyone else. The transition to TWC went well all around until I ran into this snag. I was afraid this was going to be the nuisance that eventually led to buyers remorse. Thankfully it was a simple fix.

Expert

Ok, those are DVI-D single link, digital only connectors.

Here's correct technology, shame on fry's the flate spade on the digital only male connectors is smaller than on the male analogs to prevent someone from forcing in the analog connectors and bending pins

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pqDR7hV0yYAsTMunIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTI0ZW40ODRvBHNlY...

Everyone's Tags (6)
Expert

Observer

To fix this problem, I just bought one of these for $14:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TDGDBLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This device takes over the CEC pin for it's own signaling, so I installed just one side of it (the "IN" adapter), between the DCX3600-M and the HDMI cable. I made sure the switch on it was set to "IR", and that prevents pin 13 from being used by the cable box's clearly *BROKEN* CEC communications. Once I installed this, the ability to use CEC/ARC/Anynet+ returned to the whole home theather system.

Everyone's Tags (4)
Spectrum Employee

Good news - TWC has worked with the vendor to identify a firmware bug that was causing CEC communications issues on the 3600 set-tops.  The fix should be in an upcoming firmware update.  

This effort was propelled by posts on this very forum.  So thank you everybody who posted feedback about this issue!