Highlighted
Observer

ARRIS DCX3600-M DVR "NOT TUNABLE" -- BUT OTHER EQUIPMENT IN HOUSE WORKS

Hello,

I have already swapped out 2 boxes this week, due to heavy pixelating/now not even working. We replaced  the coax cable, and our other equipment is working fine (phone, other dvr boxes, & internet). 

Boot sequence:  BOOT-->OCAP-->7:03 (incorrect time)-->ALERT - NOT TUNABLE

At a total loss on this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Trusted Helper

Re: ARRIS DCX3600-M DVR "NOT TUNABLE" -- BUT OTHER EQUIPMENT IN HOUSE WORKS

@lisa8541 wrote:

Hello,

I have already swapped out 2 boxes this week, due to heavy pixelating/now not even working. We replaced  the coax cable, and our other equipment is working fine (phone, other dvr boxes, & internet). 

Boot sequence:  BOOT-->OCAP-->7:03 (incorrect time)-->ALERT - NOT TUNABLE

At a total loss on this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

Pixilation is almost never a box problem, but is a signal problem. Set up a service call to check your signals and drop line.  Specify this in the work order.  Avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers, for at least six hours before your service call.  Box swaps will NEVER solve signal problems, and as you are on your third box, the tech must check your signals and lines.  The Arris 3600 is a great box!  You have a signal issue.  Your pixilation /signals are really bad.  The box is saying "Not tunable."  Your line drop needs to be checked and replaced.  Inside cable wiring as well.

Satch

Observer

Hello, Thank you for your suggestion; however, with everything else working just fine in the house, this is where I question the idea of the signal being the problem. It's my understanding that Spectrum does not issue DCX3600-M to new customers, only those that were grandfathered from TWC, so the boxes that are issued to current customers are more than likely refurb units.  When I swapped out the 1st "newish" 1st unit (which was shrink-wrapped), the customer rep noticed it was badly used and said he would get me a better one.  Even when I called Spectrum support for the 100th time after the 2nd box failed to boot, they even said that it was 50/50 chance it was either a bad signal or another bad box.  TWC/Spectrum already re-cabled our house 2 yrs ago, so the bad signal thing seems to be more aggravating than it's worth. I'll go for the 3rd time the charm and then (most likely) call for a tech.

Helper

I agree with @Satch that pixelation is almost never a box problem but usually a signal problem.

Just to rule out all possibilities, swap the problem box out with one of the other boxes that works fine to see how they both operate. If the problem box still has the pixelation issue it might be the box but if the moved working box starts showing signs of pixelation or other symptoms it's definitely a signal issue.

Do you have Spectrum internet and do you have access to the modem's signal page? If so, post the signals page and event log...they may show something obvious.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

I agree with @Satch that pixelation is almost never a box problem but usually a signal problem.

Just to rule out all possibilities, swap the problem box out with one of the other boxes that works fine to see how they both operate. If the problem box still has the pixelation issue it might be the box but if the moved working box starts showing signs of pixelation or other symptoms it's definitely a signal issue.

Do you have Spectrum internet and do you have access to the modem's signal page? If so, post the signals page and event log...they may show something obvious.

I agree with Red's suggestions!  If the issue comes down to the box, the rare 6-tuners are the first choice.  An Aris 3600-M and Cisco 9865. (Six tuners on each,) Or the 4-tuner World Box.  No clock on the World Boxes, no Caller ID on TV for landline Spectrum Phone Subs on World Box.

Satch

Observer

@Lisa 

they will give new customers the arris 6 tuner box but you really have to complain to get one. i got mine by threatening to close the acct and go else where after they set me up with a dual tuner unit wich was a shock in todays world with guides getting bigger. i was never a TWC customer and i got one once i complained Smiley Happy. i love the guid on the world box. but once i had one and i know people that have em and all of the problems that go along with em. you could never give me another world box. they just won't give you the mini client to the arris 6 tuner. i would really hold onto that 6 tuner until it completely croaks to. but they are phasing out the six tuners though. 

Observer

We hooked up 2 other boxes in the house to our living room where the dvr normally resides - both boxes booted just fine, no pixelating, etc.  It's actually the only way we can watch TV right now. We do have Spectrum phone and internet (both are also located in the living room) and no issues there. My last call to Spectrum yesterday was when I activated our new cable modem/router & she said she saw no issues connection-wise, which is why she was hedging on the side that I most likely  got another bad box. I will have to check out the modem signal page, but when I hooked everything up yesterday, signal showed no issues.

Since the 6-tuner boxes seem to be few-and-far-between, is this most likely the case of the luck of the draw - whether its a good or bad box? We certainly don't want to give up our TWC grandfathered 6-tuner box, but would we have better luck going forward with the 4-tuner boxes that are most likely brand new? These refurb units seem to be a real joke.

Thoughts? Thank you guys again for your suggestions!

Observer

Yeah, we're really trying to keep a hold of the 6-tuner box, but....WOW, the frustration right now is just beyond. I'm figuring we'll give it one last try before we completely give up. Everything I'm seeing so far, is that the boxes have been bad, since everything else works just fine.; especially when I swapped out the box from upstairs down to the living room, w/o any issues. At this rate, I'm starting to wonder if Spectrum is subliminally trying to get us to give up on the 6-tuner box. 

Observer

i would go into your local spectrum store and bring the box with you and tell them you want another 6 tuner box!!! you think you have frustraitions now. if you get the 4 tuner box the world box it might work awsome for a while. but once it's starts acting up it's a nightmare!!! we had an outage out here this past weekend and my frind had a world box!!! and the screen would go pink after he rebooted the box LMAO the screen would look like static if he changed the resoloution on the box ( the connections were nice and snug also so there was no loose connections ) as well once the outage was restored the box would not let him watch the channels he was paying for it kept telling him to upgrade LOL. he brought it in to our local store and told the rep that things a disaster LOL and she ran into the back room and got him a 6 tuner as well!!! he asked if those things really do work. the rep just told him not to many people have good luck with em!!! but when they do work there awsome!!!

the cisco 9865 is another 6 tuner box as well. satch has that one and he loves it. if they don't have the arris model you can see if they have that ciso model as well.

i came over from dish and there DVR has 16 tuners in it. trust me it's a shock to see how outdated spedtrum is with there hardware even the world box is outdated compared to whats out there

Observer

HA, that's good to know i can go back to the 6-tuner if we have problems with the 4-tuner box. They always try to instill the "once you get rid of it, you can never have it again!" But in the meantime, I'm going to go to a different store to see if I can have better luck with another 6-tuner box. I've got my list of questions & notes to go through with them, so hopefully we can get this ordeal solved today. Thank you!