Spectator

8790L remote won't send arrow keys to TV device

The Directional arrows on my remote default to cable and cannot be reprogrammed to send them to the TV even when you choose the TV device. I, like most people, need the arrows for cursor control on my TV.  My TV is a Vizio and the code is correct as it will send to the tv while still in programming mode. Is there any way to fix this? When in TV mode, it should send the codes to the TV. I contacted the maker of the remote, and they said the issue was in Spectrum's firmware (programming) of the remote. Should I bring in the remote and request a different one? Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
Trusted Helper

Re: 8790L remote won't send arrow keys to TV device

@RonSusie wrote:

The Directional arrows on my remote default to cable and cannot be reprogrammed to send them to the TV even when you choose the TV device. I, like most people, need the arrows for cursor control on my TV.  My TV is a Vizio and the code is correct as it will send to the tv while still in programming mode. Is there any way to fix this? When in TV mode, it should send the codes to the TV. I contacted the maker of the remote, and they said the issue was in Spectrum's firmware (programming) of the remote. Should I bring in the remote and request a different one? Thank you. 

Hello,

Cable TV remotes (those that come with cable boxes) are typically programmed to control the on/off functions of the cable box, and when programmed, the on/off functions of the TV. (With the TV code programmed into the remote.)

Controlling third party hardware is hit and miss, sometimes even with the correct code.  Unfortunately, that is the way it is.  We recommend using the remote that comes with your TV to control functions with your TV such as picture and sound.

Because the programing codes are so different from device to device, it is nearly impossible to find a remote that will control ALL the functions of the TV/device  that isn't from the original TV/device manufacturer.  Often times, users will be able to control the On/Off functions of third party devices with cable remotes, (at best.)  But specific menu devices that are only offered through that device, will very often only work through the controller programmed for that device.

There is a Video Source button on your remote that can be programed to move from Cable TV mode to something like using your DVR Player, or X-Box.  You hit "Video Source" to go through the different modes.  When you are done with your usage of the added device.  You hit Video Source to go back to CATV.

However, controlling the actions of what you are using the Video Source button to do when going to that second input to play a game or watch a DVD, you will need your remote that comes with your device to control those functions.

Satch

Highlighted
Contributor

I eliminated this and a few other remote problems by purchasing a Harmony Ultimate Remote with Hub.  There is just too many buttons on the current 8790 remote for my liking, plus the Harmony allows me to program certain functions and buttons the way i want.  Also, a much smaller remote than the 8790.  Works beautifully and will control up to 15 different devices with a single push of a button in most cases.

Spectator

Thank you. I understand what you are saying. What is interesting is that the codes are in there and work when I'm in programming mode (sends to TV), but as soon as I go to normal mode, it will only send them to the cable device, not the TV, even when TV is selected at the top. It seems to be misprogrammed punch through.

Spectator

I guess I'll take it back and get a different model remote. Frustrating, because as a programmer, this is a mistake and fairly easy to correct.