Browser

15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed

I've made some interior changes and need about a 15 - 20 foot length of the exterior grade cable with connectors that TWC uses for installations.  The 10 foot length that TWC used when they did my installation years ago is just a bit too short.  

 

This is the Time Warner Cable Brightwire (or equivalent) cable.  It comes in from the demarc on the back of my house to the TV.

 

I'm in Cleveland . . .   Is this something that I can pick up at a TWC storefront?  If not, is there a good on-line source for it?  All I've been able to find so far on Google is either interior grade or un-terminated.

 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed

You might have to "place an order" at your local TWC storefront and pick it up the next day, or you can gamble that there will actually be a home service tech there if you show up unannounced.  They might even have a small stockpile of prebuilt RG-6 QS cables in different lengths for walk-ins.  However they do it in your area, they should be happy to make you a high-quality jumper cable and avoid the cost of rolling a truck later for an ingress complaint.  That's just common sense customer support. 

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed


@mqb wrote:

I've made some interior changes and need about a 15 - 20 foot length of the exterior grade cable with connectors that TWC uses for installations.  The 10 foot length that TWC used when they did my installation years ago is just a bit too short.  

 

This is the Time Warner Cable Brightwire (or equivalent) cable.  It comes in from the demarc on the back of my house to the TV.

 

I'm in Cleveland . . .   Is this something that I can pick up at a TWC storefront?  If not, is there a good on-line source for it?  All I've been able to find so far on Google is either interior grade or un-terminated.

 

Thanks.


============

 

TWC/Spectrum WILL send a Tech out to fix that for you, but it will likely end up costing you about $100 for a $5 piece of cable.

 

Go to any emectronics store, and they'll sell you (MAKE you if necessary) a cable exactly as long as you need for a LOT less than TWC/Spectrum.  Installation is simply twiisting the connectors until they come off, and twisting the new ones on.

 

 

Expert

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed

Try solidsignal.com , I believe they make custom rg6 quad shielded cables.

What part of Cleveland?

Micro Center  / best buy had compression connector cables in 25' lengths.

?

 

Browser

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed

MsRaye - I'm on the east side. Microcenter has coax, but I think they're indoor rated - I need outdoor.

Helper

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed


@MsRaye wrote:

Try solidsignal.com , I believe they make custom rg6 quad shielded cables.

What part of Cleveland?

Micro Center  / best buy had compression connector cables in 25' lengths.

?

 


Lowe's and Home Depot as well...and probably less expensive than any custom length you order.

Browser

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed

Lowes and Home Depot are also indoor, not outdoor rated.  Amazon has some, but I'm concerned about quality.  

Proven Sharer

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed


@mqb wrote:

Lowes and Home Depot are also indoor, not outdoor rated.  Amazon has some, but I'm concerned about quality.  


Okay I'll ask...

 

What's the difference between indoor rated and outdoor rated?  I know the difference (in the power world) between NM and UF for direct burial and use outdoors, but I never heard of the UF equivalent for RG-6, at least on the consumer side.  I do recall, may moons ago, that the cable company's drop from the pole used to have a siamease tension wire embedded in the outer jacket outside the braid, but that was a long time ago.  Are you sure you aren't just concerned with the end F-connections?  (i.e. - Hex Crimp versus Compression?

Spectrum Employee

Re: 15' Terminated RG6 Cable Needed


@mqb wrote:

Lowes and Home Depot are also indoor, not outdoor rated.  Amazon has some, but I'm concerned about quality.  


I'm going to weigh in and tell you, unless you are burying cable, there is no difference in coaxial cables. There is no such thing as "outdoor" cable, but there is "underground" or "burial" cable.

 

You have RG-6 standard cable and RG-6U for burial.

 

Dual-Shield, Tri-Shield and Quad Shield, it's all the same.

 

If you need cable to be buried, then you cannot get anything pre-terminated it needs to be terminated after-the-fact as it's only sold on reels.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.