Highlighted
Contributor

Incoming Caller ID Blocking Feature Request

I have NOMOROBO enabled on my Spectrum Voice phone and it works very well. One thing it dosn't do is to block the recent rash of robocallers that spoof my local prefix (714-527) trying to make me think I am receiving a local call. About 95% of these callers use the caller ID of "async", and not only spoof what are local disconnected numbers, but also a few legitimate ones. They call multiple times daily, even as early as 6:00 AM and as late as 11:45 PM.

Could you possibly consider adding the ability to block specific caller ID's to your service? I already use your Block Unwanted Callers feature (which is totally filled up with the allowed 30 numbers). A feature to Block Unwanted Caller ID's would be a godsend.

I was doing it at home here for a while using a program that worked with a 56K modem until the latest Windows "update" (downgrade) eliminated the ability to use a phone modem on my computer.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Re: Incoming Caller ID Blocking Feature Request

I've included a link to Ways to Block Unwanted Calls that you may find helpful.  One option may be to block all incoming calls, and then Accept Selected Callers, which allows you to accept only the callers or numbers that you select as known numbers. 

Contributor

Blocking all callers while only allowing specific numbers to get thru would be out of the question for obvious reasons. It seems to me that implementing a service to block specific caller ID's would be a simple extension of what you already have in place to block specific numbers, being that both would rely on matching and rejecting information already contained within the CID information string.

I helped beta-test NOMOROBO for a few months prior to it's introduction to the public. I had a recent conversation with the creator of NOMOROBO concerning this same subject, and he stated that over the last month they have seen a huge increase in random number specific prefix spoofing, which is not what NOMOROBO is designed to deal with at this time.

It's always wise for a company to consider what is best for their customers, rather than just the stockholders.

Trusted Helper

Greetings,

The best thing to do would be to report those numbers to Nomorobo that are comming through.  Nomorrobo updates their database EVERY HOUR 24/7.  Contact them here:

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003815572-Report-A-Number

You will need to log-in with a seperate account, or register with Nomorobo first to report the numbers if you have not aleady registered.

You can also contact Nomorobo's  Facebook Page for help here:

https://twitter.com/nomorobo?lang=en

Satch

Contributor

I do report them to NOMOROBO, but I see this becoming the new normal for illegal telemarketers. Supposedly a new technology ("shake & stir") will eliminate this, but it appears to be a bit down the line timewise, and I suspect it will take even longer for telcos to implement. https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/understanding-stir-shaken/

lately I get an average of at least 3 of these types of robocallers a day out of the 8 "normal" style of telemarketers. NOMOROBO eliminates 98 % of the "normal" robocallers, but is unable at this time to deal with random local prefix spoofing, where the robocallers are able to generate localized random numbers based on one's area code and prefix. As in my case, I am in the 714 area code with a prefix of 527-, therefore the system being used by the robocaller simply creates a spoofed CID using my area code and prefix to try and make me beleive the call is coming from a neighbor. Initially, most of these calls used a caller ID name that began with a "V" and a series of numbers, now most of them are using "async". The ability to block virtually all calls beginning with "V" and "async" would eliminate the rings from these crooks that seem to always occur either way too early in the morning (as early as 6:00 AM) or way too late in the evening (as late as 11:45 PM), and of course, if I decide to take a nap. NOMOROBO takes care of the rest, since my Panasonic phone system allows me to block the first ring on every call.

Trusted Helper

@Fisherman wrote:

I do report them to NOMOROBO, but I see this becoming the new normal for illegal telemarketers. Supposedly a new technology ("shake & stir") will eliminate this, but it appears to be a bit down the line timewise, and I suspect it will take even longer for telcos to implement. https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/understanding-stir-shaken/

lately I get an average of at least 3 of these types of robocallers a day out of the 8 "normal" style of telemarketers. NOMOROBO eliminates 98 % of the "normal" robocallers, but is unable at this time to deal with random local prefix spoofing, where the robocallers are able to generate localized random numbers based on one's area code and prefix. As in my case, I am in the 714 area code with a prefix of 527-, therefore the system being used by the robocaller simply creates a spoofed CID using my area code and prefix to try and make me beleive the call is coming from a neighbor. Initially, most of these calls used a caller ID name that began with a "V" and a series of numbers, now most of them are using "async". The ability to block virtually all calls beginning with "V" and "async" would eliminate the rings from these crooks that seem to always occur either way too early in the morning (as early as 6:00 AM) or way too late in the evening (as late as 11:45 PM), and of course, if I decide to take a nap. NOMOROBO takes care of the rest, since my Panasonic phone system allows me to block the first ring on every call.

My Nomorrobo blocks the "V" calls and works 98% of the time. The "Spoofing" needs to be addressed.

Satch

Contributor

It would be nice to get a reply from someone in the telco switch group concerning if this is under consideration, and if not, why.

At one time we were able to utilize an "app" called VoiceZone on our home computers that provided this feature,  but the app was abandoned right around the time that Spectrum took over. As customers, we should be given any tools possible to prevent robocallers, and Spectrum should also be working to implement "Shake & Stir" technology ASAP.