Not applicable

Faxing over phone jack

On receiving my modem/router from Time Warner, they advised I could also fax by unplugging the phone and inserting the phone line from my fax. I did do this successfully, however so as to not have to continually unplug and re-plug the phone lines, is it possible to use a splitter, inserted into the phone jack on the modem, with both the phone and fax plugged into the splitter? I have an HP fax where the setup goes through the options of whether there is also a phone on the fax line etc. thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: Faxing over phone jack

use the HP's loop thru setup and set it for an attached phone.

Not applicable

Sorry but I haven't a clue what you just said. To be more clear, there is only one jack on the Time Warner Modem, to use for a phone. I want to use that one jack for both my phone and my fax, 2 different cables. My question is if I can use a splitter, plugging it into the modem port, and then plugging both the phone and the fax into the double port of the splitter?

Expert

No, the modem goes to the line side of the fax, and the fax has a second jack that loops thru to the phones. You feed the phones thru the fax so it can detect a busy and prevent a phone being picked up off hook when a fax is in progress... Look at the HP manual, most have 2 seperate RJ-11 jacks, some have one and use a special line 1/2 splitter, the manual will show them

Not applicable

I understand now. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks,

Expert

If you're using TWC's voice mail to auto answer on X number of rings,, there will be an issue with the fax picking up on X number of rings

The only solution is to set the fax to not auto answer and use it's HP Eprint website and an ethernet connection to the fax from your router.

Or a second phone line with no voice mail on it

Highlighted
Not applicable

I don't use TWC's auto answer, only my own answering machine. As 99% of the faxes I do are outgoing, this is not a problem. If someone wants to fax me, they have to let me know beforehand, so I can turn off the answering machine. Thankx.