LGT
Contributor

Calls from my own phone number.

So for some reason I got slammed today with calls from my home phone number to my home phone number.  This is a TWC/Spectrum land line. So for example if my home phone is (414)123-4567 the incoming calls show caller ID (414)123-4567. I know this is the new favorite trick of scammers.  

What I was wondering is if I use Spectrum’s blocking tool to block my own phone number will this cause any problems.   I just don’t want to cause any unintended consequences with voicemail or anything else.  No one ever calls themselves right?  I just want to avoid any infinite loop type of problems. 

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: Calls from my own phone number.

@LGT wrote:

So for some reason I got slammed today with calls from my home phone number to my home phone number.  This is a TWC/Spectrum land line. So for example if my home phone is (414)123-4567 the incoming calls show caller ID (414)123-4567. I know this is the new favorite trick of scammers.  

What I was wondering is if I use Spectrum’s blocking tool to block my own phone number will this cause any problems.   I just don’t want to cause any unintended consequences with voicemail or anything else.  No one ever calls themselves right?  I just want to avoid any infinite loop type of problems. 

No problems should be found,

Just turn on "Nomorrobo" and say yes to "Answer Anywhere."  You will need to allow the phone to ring once to be screened.   (in rare cases, twice.) Nomorrobo will drop the spammer/robocall after the first ring so that the scammer can't leave a message.  Set this up in "My Account"  Home Phone Settings.  Be sure to save your changes.

If you also have Spectrum CATV, you will see the number on the Caller ID screen, but the call will be dropped before they can leave a message, so you won't see the number on your Caller ID phone.

Nomororobo should start working right away, but give it up to 12 hours from the time that you activate it on your line.  It's free and works great!

Satch

Contributor

Re: Calls from my own phone number.

CallerID spoofing. This should be disabled/disallowed. I'm sure there is some way the technology can be configured to exclusively pass the number of the originator of the call and not allow any modifications of the CallerID data.
LGT
Contributor

Re: Calls from my own phone number.i

Actually I have had Nomorrobo active on my home line since it was made available to TWC customers. For some reason Tuesday it wasn’t stopping calls from my own number.  It only seemed to be happening on Tuesday.  Maybe there was a glitch in Nomorrobo that day.  

I was wondering about using the actual block this number (or blacklist if you prefer) offered by Spectrum. The list of thirty numbers that you can permanently block immediately.   That would seem to be a quick and permanent fix. I just was wondering if there could be any downside to doing this approach.