Observer

Constant smoke detector communication issues

For the last 6 weeks or more, we've been getting communication error alerts from one or more of our smoke detectors.  At least once or twice a day.  Accordingly, we then get a call from the emergency response team once or twice a day.  We've had 3 technician visits over the past 6 weeks, each one pretty certain that they fixed the issue (battery changes, device changes, firmware updates, etc.).  But the issue continues to pop up again within a day or so of the most recent tech visit.  So, we still get the calls.  Oh, and at least 3 times, the alarm has sounded in the middle of the night due to this issue.   Another tech has been scheduled for about 2 weeks from now - their first availability.  

We've had the TWC system for nearly a year before this all started, with no problems at all.  But this is getting more frustrating than I can tolerate much longer.  

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Constant smoke detector communication issues

Is this smoke or carbon monoxide? if the latter, you need to have your furnace cleaned and the flues& chimney inspected for leaks.  IF THIS IS A THRU THE WALL UNIT WITH THE PLASTIC VENTS OUTDOORS, MAKE SURE IT'S NOT BLOCKED BY SNOW DRIFTS.

Whoever the intelligent home techs were, did they check the CO level?

I'd also buy a seperate CO detector that displays in PPM to see if there's a buildup.

Don't be like several dead people that thought the detectors were bad and removed the batteries! IF YOU SUSPECT THERE'S A PROBLEM, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT.

Observer

They are SMOKE detectors!   

Expert

contact your local fire department. There's a possibility you have a malfunctioning furnace.

You should also have a CO detector

Observer

Please re-read my original post.   There is nothing wrong with my furnace.  This is a wi-fi issue.  Yes I have CO monitors too.   Thanks for your concern.