Browser

major incompetence or outright lying

I cannot believe the continuing emil server proble has been going on this long.

For days telephone "tech" simply refused to deal with this as a Spectrum server proble, instead blaming Outlook, thunderbird and every other effected client email pgm, instead of directing the issue to thier own technical server people. Days after the beggining of this technical fiasco they still do not seem to have a handle on this. It seems to me that they could have totally rebuilt the server by now,  but no one seems to have a clue as to what is happening.

Were Spectrum peolple telling their telephone support people to lie, in order to buy time?

They will probably delete this post, they have already deleted a post of mine complaining about thier lack of support and transparency.  Everyone affected by the mail.twc.com smtp

server should start posting thier complaints here. Maybe if there are enough negative posts

they will get someone to fix it, and I emphasize maybe. Spectrum doesn't seem to want to do anything about, but the do send out bills for thier service in a timely manner.

I think I'll take as much time paying thier bill as they are taking fixing the problem.

5 REPLIES
Participant

Re: major incompetence or outright lying

I too am fed up with Spectrum and their e-mail server fiasco. I wish I had time to call them. I guess I'll just HAVE to make time, then I'll be able to file a complaint with NYS. i 'm in upstate NY (20 miles from Saratoga Springs).

For others reading this posting, here are links to other recent forum postings related to their problem (there maybe other postings, but these are the ones I found):

can't send email--Outlook express repeatedly requests user & pw even though they're correct.

Is outgoing smtp server mail.twc port 587 down?

4 days still can't send email

Spectrum email outage is a known issue

5.1.0 sender rejected AUP#1600 Error Send Emai

Browser

Eudora users are seeing this but I was able to resolve it.......

Server SSL Certificate Rejected

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Email/Server-SSL-Certificate-Rejected/td-p/141544

Browser

I found yesterday that I also was experiencing this same issue. This morning after some searching I was able to resolve in my mail server. What Spectrum has changed is that they are looking for the MAIL FROM Reverse-Path or Return-Path to be is the Spectrum login and not another email address. This is a function described in the SMTP RFC 5321 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321). I found in Mercury Mail that I can set a Forced SMTP Sender with that login and it works. It does not affect the reply-to or whom the email came from.

I primarily use Thunderbird as my client and could not find a way to specify this in the setting to use the internal SMTP engine. Not sure about other clients, some may support this setting. I would say that Spectrum needs to change back whatever setting they recently changed, as it will be a large problem for many users that have email addresses other than their Spectrum address.

I hope that this helps to clarify the issue in more detail.

Browser

@CessnaDriver wrote:

Eudora users are seeing this but I was able to resolve it.......

Server SSL Certificate Rejected

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Email/Server-SSL-Certificate-Rejected/td-p/141544

I would have to guess that Eudora is using the SMTP login name (Spectrum account email) as the return-path. Since I do not have it, it is an educated guess.

Browser

@David12846 wrote:

I too am fed up with Spectrum and their e-mail server fiasco. I wish I had time to call them. I guess I'll just HAVE to make time, then I'll be able to file a complaint with NYS. i 'm in upstate NY (20 miles from Saratoga Springs).

For others reading this posting, here are links to other recent forum postings related to their problem (there maybe other postings, but these are the ones I found):

can't send email--Outlook express repeatedly requests user & pw even though they're correct.

Is outgoing smtp server mail.twc port 587 down?

4 days still can't send email

Spectrum email outage is a known issue

5.1.0 sender rejected AUP#1600 Error Send Emai

It is more competence than lying, or actually a lack of communication in the origination.  Someone at a technical level made a change or they are trying to lock down outgoing email more strictly. Not sure and I'm sure that tech is not going to be sure either.