Observer

TWC/RR email setup with Outlook/O365

I spent time on the phone with Microsoft and TWC/Spectrum yesterday trying to get my RR email account setup with Outlook.  Of course as you can imagine, each is pointing to the other as the issue, which is frustrating to say the least. 

The message in Outlook is that there is an SMTP SSL check failure.  It's stating there is an invalid or expired certificate.  I tried logging via an insecure connection, but it doesn't work either.  And frankly, that's not what I would prefer to do.

I have it setup as IMAP using mail.twc.com for incoming/outgoing servers.  I've tried adding or leaving off the port extension, but no luck.  Weird thing is that i'm able to setup using gmail.  So i'm still not sure if it's a Microsoft or TWC/Spectrum issue.

Has anyone had any success or any thoughts on how to resolve?

14 REPLIES
Browser

Re: TWC/RR email setup with Outlook/O365

I don't think Spectrum will be very helpful. I've had similar issues regarding expired certificates, but Spectrum's solution on a Facebook Messenger chat was that they "don't support third-party apps" and to use "webmail.spectrum.net" instead.

Amazing though, for years I was able to connect my Roadrunner account to Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail with no problems!

Maybe someone else will have some ideas how to get our Roadrunner mail working with Outlook again?

@Julia_R , can you help???

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/email-settings-twc?redirected=true specifically states:

Spectrum Email can be set up on:
  • iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, etc.)
  • Android devices (mobile, tablet, laptop, etc.)
  • 3rd party mail clients such as Outlook(emphasis mine)

Lead Moderator

@neeshu   @tony282003 

Are you both trying to use Outlook (office 365) ?

My information on 365 specifically indicates it should be set up as POP.

That you can select to leave a copy of messages on the server. 

What server settings are you currently using that are not working?
Please do not include your actual email address in your reply please, you can use

xxx@twc.com or xxx@cfl.rr.com, whatever mimics your email domain. 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

I was trying to use IMAP. O365 setup doesn’t allow me to use pop that I can tell. Do you know if there is a way. I know that previous outlook versions allowed pop successfully.
Observer

I tried setting up per instructions and it didn’t work. That’s when I called Microsoft and spectrum and neither were helpful.
Lead Moderator

I found how to set up POP at the website.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/pop-and-imap-email-settings-for-outlook-8361e398-8af4-4e97-...

also where to find how to set up POP  

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-an-email-account-using-advanced-setup-560a9065-3c3a-4ec...

Regards,

Julia R.

Browser

Hi @Julia_R ,

I checked all my apps.

Windows Mail (aka "Mail for Windows 10" Universal App ("metro app")) is syncing properly.

Outlook (Windows desktop app, bundled with Office 365) is syncing properly.

Outlook.com hadn't properly synced since February 2018, but deleting and re-adding the account restored proper fuctionality.

My main problem has been Outlook for Android. It hasn't properly synced since October 2018. Deleting and re-adding the account is not always successful. Sometimes it works (for a while), and sometimes I receive errors that their tech support says is tied to expired or invalid certificates.

Email Address: xxx@roadrunner.com

Display Name: xxx xxx

Description: Roadrunner

IMAP Host Name: mail.twc.com:993

IMAP Username: xxx@roadrunner.com

IMAP Password: (Roadrunner password)

SMTP Host Name: mail.twc.com:587

SMTP Username: xxx@roadrunner.com

SMTP Password: (Roadrunner password)

Please note that Microsoft Outlook Android support indicates that the app will select all other security settings as appropriate, and no other settings (in terms of connecting accounts; ie, encryption) are able to be set or modified by the end user.

Lead Moderator

Did they indicate what advanced settings the Android app is using? 

Do you have the same result if you use a different Android Email app? 

It is my understanding as long as you are using IMAP you can mix and match

on your different devices.

Regards,

Julia R.

Observer

Hi Julie,

Per the link you provided, it does not indicate O365 for mobile though.  This is what the site says:  "In order to add your email account to Outlook, Outlook on the web, Outlook.com, or the Mail and Calendar apps for Windows 10, you'll need several pieces of information including the type of account, the incoming and outgoing server names, and the SSL and port settings. Your email provider can give you these settings, but we've provided the settings for the most popular email providers below."

And when I attempt to add an account, the only option is IMAP.  I am using the mail.twc.com for both incoming/outgoing servers.  Again, I am able to use O365 on windows 10 and it works.  it's just the mobile that's not working.  

Maybe i'll try using the O365 settings, although I'm not sure how that will work if there is no link back to TWC/RR indicating my account.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Observer

Hi Julie,

I forgot to answer your question about email address - i'm using xxx@wi.rr.com.

Thanks in advance for trying to help!