Rookie

T-Mobile and TWC email not able to send

I have TMO for mobile phone service. About a month ago i started receiving an error when sending email when not using TWC wifi. If i am on TMO data service, BellSouth Wifi, or any internet service provider network, i am unable send an email from my mobile device. However, when i am at home connected to my wifi (TWC), i can send email just fine. My settings have not changed on my device. I can validate my email account is setup correctly when i am at home on WIFI. When remote, the outgoing server gives an error "Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server. " It is not a TMO issue since the problem occurs when using non-TWC wifi. It appears mail.twc.com is blocking or has some filter preventing connections when not originating from a TWC IP address. 

6 REPLIES 6
Browser

Re: T-Mobile and TWC email not able to send

I noticed the same issue as you.  Kept banging my head against the wall.  Contacted both T Mobile and Spectrum.  Finally after 3rd contact with Spectrum phone agent suggested trying Outlook for android app.  Set this up with my Spectrum username and password as IMAP email.  This seems to work as I was able to send emails while using T Mobile with WiFi off.  Before emails would stack up in the outbox of the stock android email app.  You might try to see if works for you.  The stock android email app worked fine before but Spectrum must have changed something.

Rookie

Thanks for the reply. IMAP is not an acceptable solution for me. I have multiple devices. i do not want to delete a message on 1 device that moves it to the trash for all.  Spectrum has a configuration problem on their authentication to the SMTP relay.  It should be TLS on port 587, but a firewall or ACL is preventing it from returning the response to the email client. 

Browser

Not too familar with IMAP but looked at emails on my phone inbox, webmail on PC and Windows Mail app on PC.  I then deleted a message on my phone but the inbox on the PC in both the app and webmail did not have the message deleted.  In what scenario does the email get deleted?  Sure you know more than I and just trying to learn things.   

Rookie

If you access your email via a client (non-web browser) using POP, you download a copy of the emails to your device. If I delete a message on my device, the email stays in my TWC webmail unchanged.  With this type of setup, to send email you want to use a TWC SMTP relay. The sent message is not stored in your TWCwebmail, only the device from which the email was sent. 

IMAP essentially replicates all changes or keeps mail and sent items in sync with your webmail instance. Delete an email on your client, that message in your TWC webmail is moved to Trash. Send an email from your client, that sent message will appear in your TWC webmail Sent folder.

The problem I am having appears to be with authentication or network access to TWC SMTP email relays when I an not connected to a TWC Internet access point. IMAP seems to work just fine, but I dont like changes replicated to my TCW webmail.

Browser

Thanks for great information. I too would like to go back to POP3 server setup but none of the Spectrum support can help. With the IMAP setup I am prompted daily to re-enter my password upon opening outlook email. Real PITA!
Browser

Hi-sent you private message as well about this.  Installed BlueMail from Google Playstore and was able to install and setup  Spectrum POP3 email  by entering email address and password and let app do automatic configuration.  Works with cellular signal to send email to myself.  Might give it a try.