Observer

Strange Spam Blocking method by Spectrum

I started receiving lots of spam emails from multinet.com. The spam comes in from random email users @multinet.com. So, if you add each User@multinet.com to the filter list which is accessible from the Spectrum Web email interface, you'd have inifinte number of emails. I called Spectrum on Sat., 8/24/2019. An associate told me to remove all individual users@multinet.com from the filter list and just add multinet.com. I did. Spam continued unblocked, no matter how I access it: From Web interface, from Thunderbird or from Android Gmail app. I called again on Sat. 8/25/2019. This time they tried to keep me on the phone until they solve it!!. I declined after 25 minutes on the phone and asked for a ticket be generated so they can work on the issue. I haven't received any email or notifications to opening any tickets. I called again on Mon. (spam is still abundant from these multinet). This time they said you need to forward each message that is a spam like that to spamblock@postmaster.rr.com. I complied, and fwd'd each message to that email address.

Spam from multinet.com still continues to arrive!!. I told them that this is not going to work since these spammers use random use names to send the email @multinet.com domain and that the domain needs to be blocked in its entirity. Seems falling on deaf ears.

So, I can't block a domain from the filter list and I have to fwd msgs to that postmaster??

Is that how this issue will end up? i.e. I keep receiving inifinte spam and keep forwarding it? I can't beileve this is a solution!.

Help!,

Thanx,

--Khalid

8 REPLIES 8
Sharer

Re: Strange Spam Blocking method by Spectrum

A portion of these system scan the email to create a profile that it uses to detect them. It isn't looking at just who it came from or the domain, but various details about the email as a whole. It needs a lot of samples of known bad emails to build a signature profile before it can start to isolate them. Sometimes there can be lot of variety in how the body is composed that can bog down the process.
Observer

Thanx for your reply. I do understand these algorithms being a computer person myself for 35+ years. But my issue here is that Spectrum provides for blocking filters list where they allow the user to block a "domain". First issue is: When I put the domain multinet.com in the list it doesn't get blocked for "me only". Second issue: the proposed solution of forwarding all unwanted spam messages to spamblock@postmaster.rr.com is simply a manual filter, where the user him/her self is the "filter"!!. Currently, I get something like 10+ spam messages from these multinet.com people, so, I have to forward each message "individually", and then go delete them from inbox, and then delete the fwd'd copies to postmaster. That is 30 activities in total EVERYDAY!!! And the spam is not stopping. On Yahoo and/or gmail, filters are defined and they do work!. I'm seriously thinking of abandoning spectrum email all together, but awiting a reasonable solution before doing that since I have RR email in too many places.

I hope spectrum people are reading these forums and properly react.

Thanx,

--Khalid

Newcomer

I am having the same issue with multinet emails, and the domain blocking Spectrum supplies has been useless. The emails are not legit. The unsubscribe links send you to a website that tries to install malware on your computer.
Observer

Spectrum,

I have the same issue.  My wife and I want the multinet.com spam emails to stop.

Not applicable

I have also reported this issue to Spectrum and they opened a ticket for me yesterday. A support rep has already called me back and left a message but haven't spoken with him yet. His number is 855-707-7328. 

Before calling yesterday, I had already blocked the domain multinet.com in my Settings section  and used the option to Move each email to the Spam folder as I was told in a previous call. Although these actions have significantly reduced the number of multinet emails, it has not eliminated all of them. The latest suggestion (in addition to the two already mentioned) was to create a filter in the Settings section. So I just created a filter that says if multinet.com is in the From line to delete the email. 

So, will see if adding this filter fixes the problem.

Not applicable

Update to original post
The filter tool appears to be working. Emails from multinet.com now going to spam folder automatically as specified in my filter and not my inbox.
Highlighted
Not applicable

HELP! My email is bombarded by @ multinet. I have blocked by each email. Blocked it just @ multinet. Nothing works. Marked as Spam.

I’m ready to switch email carriers. 

Observer

Has Spectrum provided any resolution to this spammer? I’ve added the domain to blocked and I mark all as spam but it still gets through? Can maybe Spectrum block them on their end as it’s obviously all junk?